I was one of those who was horrified to hear that Donna was returning; I'd found her mostly abrasive and irritating in The Runaway Bride. However, even before this season began, I rewatched TRB (because someone asked me for a Donna fic) and I realised that she had some beautiful moments of real empathy and understanding. I think a lot of my original problem was that I wasn't ready for a new companion after Rose.

Now, I adore Donna and have said so many times over at my LiveJournal and on Doctor Who and Donna communities. She's shot right up to the role of my favourite companion, although I still ship the Doctor and Rose (and adore Jack too). Like LabRat, The Fires of Pompeii is my favourite episode, especially for the scene where Donna helps the Doctor make the decision to set off the volcano. Brilliant.

The acting this year has been stunning, too, and that combined with the quality of episodes on the whole has propelled this season up there along with Nine's sole season, after a really disappointing year last year. I tried to like Martha, but got put off very quickly by her characterisation as whiny and self-absorbed (Why doesn't he love meeeeeeeeeee!). She was better this year - the absence of her crush because she's finally got another man really did help - but once her three episodes (for the moment) were over I was happy to see her go again.

If anyone's interested, I've got a post reviewing the year so far and commenting on each individual episode, as well as a favourite/least favourite episode poll, on my LiveJournal . You have to have an LJ account to vote or comment, but the post's open so anyone can read it and the discussion so far. Just be aware that there's a brief mention in my post of some characters who appear in later episodes, so if you don't already know about appearances in the finale you may get spoiled.

[Linked Image]

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*