this is Lois we're talking about. She's never been patient, and she can be very impulsive. This is the woman who admitted that she usually jumps in without checking the water level.
That's how it seemed to me... she did the usual "jumping in without checking" again. The S1 Lois was more completely hidden behind those walls of brashness and defensiveness. There were people who admired her and people who were intimidated by her, but she didn't really have any friends. She was focused on success and would have probably been flattered by the attentions of a very successful and charming, smooth and sophisticated man such as Lex. That's how she acted around him in the pilot (although her interest was mostly in what sort of interview she could get from him, and from the prestige such an interview would get her). As Kaethel said, she may well have decided that mutual respect was the best she could do. It's almost like an arranged marriage, in a way, since she wasn't driven by love (which she wouldn't have trusted). I can see her impulsively saying yes to Lex's proposal and then sort of coasting along absorbing all the activity that would have started happening at that point.

But she is still Lois Lane-- a very driven person, who faught her way to her choice of careers against her father's wishes; who succeeded in a male-dominated field, despite the huge setback of her experience with Claude. While two months into a marriage is definitely a very, very short time in which to decide it isn't working (unless there is an overwhelming circumstance such as abuse), she is a very impulsively decisive person, and it's pretty believable to me that she could be contemplating a divorce already. She's going to do what SHE wants to do, and to heck with any consequences. She's going to cut her losses and return to what she was before-- driven, and consumed by her work, but very successful at it.

Lex, good or evil, could really love her (although I'm leaning more toward the idea that she was an acquisition) and could be really, really hurt by all this. Because he is in the public eye, Lois is going to come across as the bad guy-- unless, as SJH said some time ago, Lex is the bad guy, in which case all bets are off. The only way she'd get much sympathy from the rest of the world would be if he turns out to be a criminal. But when has the opinion of others REALLY affected Lois? She'll do what she needs to do, what she believes she should do.

And however it looks to the people in her world, and to us, I still think she shouldn't stay in this marriage if she can't be completely committed to Lex. Whether she goes to find Clark or just reestablishes herself in the investigative journalism world, I think she's right to end this. While most people would agree that you should make an effort to really work at a marriage, especially if you stood up before witnesses and promised to do so, there are people who have ended a marriage quickly. There are also annulments, which essentially say the marriage was never valid in the first place (not that that argument would work here, of course).

I wonder what grounds would work here, though? I suppose a no-fault divorce, on the generic grounds of "irreconcilable differences." would be the only option here? If Lex were to oppose the divorce, that'd be proof that they can't see eye-to-eye...

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler