I had long hair while I was growing up and always wanted to get it to my knees. I finally did and then, after nagging from sister/cousins/etc, got it cut-cut (as opposed to 'trim the nasty split ends off') for the first time when I was 20.

I planned it in advance - for weeks, actually, having made the decision to do it after my birthday. Went in, put it in a ponytail (so that I could donate it) and she snip-snipped the ponytail off.

I cried. Just stood there (it was too long for me to sit in the chair) and cried. She was really nice about it, and then trimmed what was left (still below my shoulders). I only cried that once, while she was cutting, but one thing that I do remember is afterwards, every time I brushed it/washed it/etc, I would keep going down, expecting more hair, and it would just stop. And it didn't make me upset anymore, but it was a shock every time.

Then six months later I got it cut into a 3rd season Lois haircut and people literally didn't recognize me until I talked. wink That was fun. But again, I would wash it and be surprised at how little there was (which would have upset me more had it been forcibly cut) and I *hated* styling it short. Took *way* more time and effort than having it long. Which seems backwards, but it's true. I've never gone that short/layered again. (I have gone for the 1st/2nd Season Lois bob since, but never the short short layered look. And never will. ...until I get the guts up to shave my head and need it styled as it grows out. angel-devil )

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.