Well, this is an outsider's impression.

I really thought I was clear about BNA, but after reading through this thread, I'm now totally confused.

Here's what I'd always assumed: ( I haven't noticed anything in Kerth practice over the years to contradict what follows. That doesn't mean it's not there, of course. smile )

-> The Kerths are for completed stories only

- >The 2008 Kerths are for fics completed in 2007. So BNA would be for any new author who completed his/her first L &C fic in 2007. Or who had his first fic posted on the Archive in 2007 *and* had not requested eligibility in any other year.

-> Story eligibility is based on stories posted in the archives, or those submitted to the archive before the December deadline of 2007. No stories posted on the mbs (or elsewhere) are eligible unless the author makes a specific request to K-Com to have them included (and of course herself as a BNA if that's a possibility)

-> if you didn't request to be added to the eligibles list for a new author fic not posted on the archives, but then that fic was posted on the archives during the next year (2008 in this context), then you would be then eligible for BNA in the 2009 K's. (just as there are some stories on the 2008 eligibles list that were posted elsewhere before 2007 - same principle)
..... But, if this author had requested to be included on the eligibles list for the year in which the story was posted elsewhere, then s/he would not be eligible. (the 'one kick at the can' rule. smile )

-> only the author can make the request to be added to the eligibles list. (otherwise some may be listed who doesn't wish to be by a well-intentioned 3rd party smile )

what I'm hazy about it this:
Is there a deadline for requesting that you or a fic be added to the eligibles list? Like no requests after noms open? (which would make sense I think)

anyway, has always been my impression. But as I say, I'm now confused.

c.