I started writing fiction in my teens (early 80's). I had one "world" mapped out and stories going on at various places and times therein. Proto-romances, most of them, though it was a sci-fi background.

When I was 21-ish, I saw the entire series of Blake's 7 (on fourth-generation video tapes) and the ending to that was way traumatic. The bad guy won; everyone else was shot. Luckily for me, the boyfriend who'd showed me the whole series then took me to a small convention, where I discovered fanzines & fanfic. B7 fandom was tiny compared to Trek, but there were a number of 'zines if you knew where to look. And after a bit, it occurred to me that if they could do it, so could I. So my first fanfic was a 5-part "fix the end of the series" story. I don't think it was too awful, actually. I worked on it a *lot* and I can still remember being deliriously happy to see my name & story in *print*! My husband-to-be remarked that he hoped that someday he could make me that happy. laugh But anyway, he can't say that he wasn't warned; I was writing fanfic before we even met, let alone got married.

After that, though, I sort of drifted away from fandom, at least until I found an online fan group (CompuServe!). Even so, I didn't write anything else in the B7 universe. Hubby and I were enthralled by Babylon 5 -- but I didn't write for it.

I saw L&C when it premiered but didn't fall for it until late second season (revelation?? I'm there!). I already knew where to find other fans, so I was plugged in immediately, and reading every scrap of fanfic I could get hold of. It didn't take very long at all before I wrote my first L&C fic. And then my second, and my third... by the end of that summer I was co-writing a multi-part story. And y'all have been stuck with me ever since wink

I wrote that first fanfic because it was so *frustrating* to see L&C be perfect for each other but always mis-communicating or running off. Lois was sad, Clark was sad, and Pam was ticked off wink Hence, Getting Away From it All .

That must have been pre-ATAI. The next two were LCWS "get me through the summer" stories (there were a lot of them that summer!). Shortly thereafter was the inevitable-now-that-she-knows Lois amnesia story.

In some ways I think it's easier to write fanfic for a show that's off the air -- the writers don't come along every week or so and destroy your plots! goofy

Those first stories do have some cringe-inducing moments for me, and there's always my internal editor telling me how I *should* have done things... but I think they're pretty decent, overall.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K