The very first fanfic I wrote was for Star Trek: The Original Series.

As I've said elsewhere, I'd written fiction since I was very young and I'd developed an interest in watching SF through Star Trek re-runs since about the age of 12 or so. But it had somehow never occurred to me to write about what I was enjoying on screen. I had no idea that the notion of fanfic existed. (You also have to realise that this was way before the internet).

Then, while browsing in my local bookstore once summer - I think I must have been around 16 by then - by sheer chance I came across New Voyages. A collection of ST:TOS fanfic gathered together and published by two fans of the show. There were stories in books about my favourite characters? I snapped it up, took it home and eagerly dived in.

The second revelation was like a lightning bolt. These were stories written by fans of the show? Ordinary people like me? People did this? laugh

The stories were all wonderful and top quality and reading them I found myself thinking, "You know...I could do this, too!"

So, I did.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers