Of course. Canon is canon. I wasn't implying there was anything wrong with that, just that it's too idealized for me. I think the idea of Supes is interesting precisely for what is not superhero-ish about it.
Haven't read the comics since I was a kid so I can't comment on canon with respect to them. But I never saw L&C canon as presenting an idealised CK/S but rather one who was complex - a hero and yet with flaws. L & C humanised Clark Kent and that was a huge part of the appeal of the show for me.

But I'll be honest and admit that it was also his capacity for heroism and altruism that made the ordinary guy interesting. I'll add the obvious - it's not the superpowers that made him a hero; they only allowed his heroism to be manifested in such a huge way, on such a grand scale.

There are lots of heros in our society - I'll bet each of us has witnessed an act of heroism. What makes the hero? Is it a character trait that's innate?

The impact of physical disability on character is an interesting one to explore. And for Clark Kent, losing his powers is disability. (although if he wallows too much in his loss, he'll seem awfully whiny when you consider what many people have to face) I'm betaing a story for Jenni right now (the sequel for the Forgotten) in which she's writing about this theme with respect to a powerless Clark.

Tank explored it very movingly in Love Disabled. (come to think of it, Tank has explored powerless Clark in several fics.)

How would disabilty affect us? Would your personality or character change for the worse - would you become mean, morose, self-pitying? Would you fight, adapt, still be who you were? Would you develop new skills to replace what you'd loss. What is the character base you have to fall back on? So many questions. Will you always be trying to prove yourself?

My father was disabled and I thought he was a hero.

c. (does this post make any sense?)