Well, you just have to decide if the story is truly the best in the category -- and I think "overall enjoyment" ought to feature heavily in your choice. I'd rather read a wonderful story by an author who has a few rough edges than a boring clunker that's gramatically perfect. The "wonderful story" part is what should be encouraged, IMO. Technical writing skills can always be improved.
I agree here. I've read few stories where a general "well written" just isn't enough. These days, I judge stories based on how interesting they are to me. A lot of well-written stories frankly bore me and I can't get past the first sections. Well-written doesn't mean that the writer isn't doing a lot of telling and not enough showing, which to me is where the greatest writing pitfalls lie. In general, a story that gets my attention is one which makes me think and gives insight into the characters. I don't necessarily believe in the existence of silly plots, just plots that haven't been given enough grounding. Hence bad, or rather, limp writing despite overall correctness of grammar, relative success in painting mood and acceptable characterizations.

That isn't to say that I will ignore poetic and beautiful prose. In fact, I can ignore a general rehashing of an overdone premise or overwrought dialogue for a fic whose style calls attention to the language in a way that others don't.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png