Well, you just have to decide if the story is truly the best in the category -- and I think "overall enjoyment" ought to feature heavily in your choice. I'd rather read a wonderful story by an author who has a few rough edges than a boring clunker that's gramatically perfect. The "wonderful story" part is what should be encouraged, IMO. Technical writing skills can always be improved.

There have been many times when I've thought a story was very well-written but I didn't really enjoy it, for whatever reason. That's not "best" for me. And I always figure, there are probably other people out there who really love that kind of story, so it'll do fine, with or without me.

I also noticed that established authors had a distinct advantage for my attention. Diving into a story by an “icon” is easy, I have a fairly good idea what I’m going get and that I’m not going to be disappointed. Reading a story by miss No-name OTOH had elements of a chore. The first time I discovered that I simply skimmed some of them to be able to eliminate them.
But then on the *other* other hand... reading a story by a new author can give you such a breathless "wow" feeling precisely because you *don't* have a fairly good idea of what to expect. That freshness can be invigorating.

Also, if there's a well-known author whose stories I haven't really been keen on in the past, I will be less likely to try the latest one -- even though it might be fantastic and I'd love it if I read it.

Even with authors I tend to enjoy, it's easy to stick them in a box -- a feeling of "been there, done that" -- but then you're in danger of missing out when an author shifts focus.

People who have time to read everything don't have that problem, I suppose, but unfortunately I don't have time to read everything.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K