I know this topic has been done before several times. I was going to tag this post onto the writers' topic, which I'm finding really interesting, but I figured I couldn't be the only reader with something to say...

So to mirror Yvonne's questions... Do you read fic from fandoms? Do the fics you prefer to read have similar styles and themes to the L&C ones you read? Or do prefer completely different fics? And what attracts you to those other fandoms, what have they got that we haven't?

I guess I should start...

I've dabbled with fics from several fandoms. I know this is slightly unusual, but I'm a bit of a crossover junkie, so that has often been my way in. But I've never really stayed anywhere but here and with a slightly obscure British kids TV show called the Tomorrow People (remember it? No, I thought not wink )

The reason why I like the Tomorrow People is because the show and the themes it covered really struck a cord with me personally. Even so, I'm nowhere near as involved there as I am here (and I'm not that involved here, so that's saying something) There's not a huge amount of TP fanfic, even in comparison to L&C, but there are some really good writers. And many of them like the show for the same reason I do, so I relate to what they are writing.

There are similarities with L&C, for starters the kids in the Tomorrow People have special powers... so I realised a long time ago that I was attracted to similar things in both fandoms.

Something else about the two fandoms that I like is that they are not riddled with politics and 'ships and and a different archive depending on whether you believe that the third episode of season 5 was a dream or not, and if you don't think it was a dream you can't be a real fan, don't you remember in episode S2.15 when there was the shark and the motorbike and there was that spectator in the background holding the sign about the unicorns and the FBI, that was an allusion to the kiss in episode S4.12, which meant that....

Sorry, you get my drift, there's nowhere near as much crazyness... Another attraction for me is something that lots of people in the authors' thread have talked about, L&C fic sticks to fairly tight situation and characters and there's only so much that can happen (relatively speaking). I like that, I like to know what I'm going to get. I'm quite happy to read revelation after revelation after revelation... And I've said before, L&C satisfies the secret romantic in me.

I really appreciate the archive and the ease of finding fics. Really recently, I've started to read Dr Who fics (it was inevitable, I've always loved Dr Who, and I love Wendy's writing... laugh ) But I've not really strayed beyond the archive where Wendy keeps her fics. I know, partly because I have read some Whofic before, but mostly because I just knew from the nature of the Dr Who fandom, that finding stuff I like would take up more of my life than I have time for. There's lots of people, and everyone has their own favourite Doctor...

So what about the rest of you?

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.