Kathy, this is the first time I saw this thread, so I'm coming to it very late, but I wanted to tell you that you can never say you won't write another story. The last L&C fic I wrote was the nfic additions to "In the Beginning" in 2000, which was a story I actually wrote at the end of 1998. FIVE long years (65 months) of no other L&C fic--not written, not planned, nothing. In fact, if we go back to when I finished the gfic version of ItB, it was SEVEN YEARS. Hordes have arrived and left the fandom in that time and never known that I wrote fanfic.

And then something struck me, and I used the fundraiser DVD project to motivate me, and now I'm editing a 30,000 word L&C fic, half of which I wrote in 2 weeks. So time since your last fic is not the issue.

On the other hand, I never quit reading L&C fic; I never quit reading the boards (except during the 7 months after my son died), so I never replaced my love for L&C with anything else. If you have discovered another set of characters that you prefer, if L&C no longer lights up your life, then maybe you should just post the notes and forget about writing L&C fic.

Personally, I probably won't read them. I read the unfinished parts of Gorn's last story, and it just left me feeling unsettled instead of satisfied. Then again, seeing where that story was headed, it may have left me unsettled even if it had been completed. dizzy What I like about your stories is the way you develop scenes; it isn't the plot. Without the back-and-forth exchanges of dialog and the voice in the introspection, I wouldn't get what I like most about your writing.

All of that probably didn't help you at all, but I wanted to tell you that years and years of not writing L&C fic isn't reason enough to think you'll never write it again.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/