In reading my neuroscience in preparation for my class today, I think I can explain physiologically why babies move around 4-5 month. We are studying neurogenesis (development of the nervous system), and there are several major events that happen. At 22-24 days gestation, the beginnings of the nervous system (the neural tube) forms, so even before many people know they are pregnant, their baby has the beginnings of a brain/spinal cord! Then at 5 weeks gestation the 5 cerebral cesicles of the brain are formed. At 3-4 months gestation, your baby has just about all of the neurons it will every have in its life, and between 3-6 months, the neurons migrate to their final targets, and in that time, the baby has a functional nervous system! That is why it can respond to extrenal stimulus -- it has sensory neurons -- and why it can move -- it has motor neurons.

Although the final myelination doesn't occur until the baby is 6 months old - 3 years old and the baby doesn't have fine motor control, or fast sensory propogation, or even coordination, it has a completely functional nervous system.

Just thought I'd share. Okay, it is procrastination. This stuff is really boring!

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve