Interesting question. I'm not a very visual person, so I don't usually get clear pictures in my head. I do sometimes hear dialog, but mostly, I start off with an idea or feeling that I want to achieve within the L&C world. That idea/feeling might be inspired by any number of things (so far, no songs). Some are pretty vague (I want a scene where Superman has gone crazy, doesn't recognize Lois, and is threatening to kill her, so Lois can demonstrate how much faith she has in Clark's basic decency) and some are very specific (I just read a book about a ghostly love story; I want to transpose that to L&C -- or there's this fanfic challenge about using the word "unspool" laugh )

That's enough to get me started plotting, working out if the idea *could* work within the L&C context. To actually start writing, I need to know *how* I can get to my goals -- in general outlines, anyway. Well, my road trip analogy works here -- I won't start driving until I've got a list of directions (take I-95 to highway 87, follow that for 7 miles, then turn again...). Once I have that general outline, I'll start out, and discover the details along the way. (As may be obvious, I write in a very linear way smile )

So, in short, in order to start writing, I need a AAA Trip-Tik goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K