Ok- borrowing from some remarks on Hazel's thread without asking permission from anyone- hope that's ok. If not, er...well...sue me.

Tank said:
One of my problems has always been that I'm the type of writer who has 'the movie' going on in his head as he writes.
And Jude said:
Initially, I just write what I'm seeing, thinking or feeling for a scene.
Then Lynn:
Like Tank, I have a movie running through my brain, and in order to describe, sometimes I just go on and on and on.
This really fascinates me, and has since I took up this crazy hobby. And many of you writers and trailer-makers have received private emails from me, demanding an explanation of "your process."

Wendy, probaby hoping I would go away, told me once that this would make a good poll...however, I think the answers would be so varied, I wouldn't be able to do it justice.

Here it is: How do you writers get started? And I mean that literally. How do your stories come to you? Is it movie-like? You see it and then describe it? Or do you feel it? Get a sense of a scene and then write? OR...I realize I've gone on and on about the voices in my head, but here it is again, do you hear it?

That's how it works for me. A conversation will start up in my head (I know, please dismiss the crazy that goes with that) and I write straight dialogue. Only later go back and fill-in what's happening and where.

I want to know about the rest of you. Every last one of you. Even if you've only written one. How are your stories born?

I'm trying to build a theory here. Am I a sparse, lean worded author because I'm not 'seeing it?' Are those of you who are wonderfully descriptive that way because you do? And you naturally introspective writers out there- and you know who you are- do you 'feel' your characters feelings?

If you don't answer this thread, I should say, I'll probably just keep up the emails. Poor Wendy.

Thank you for indulging this issue of mine!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank