Kaethel,

I know exactly what you mean. The story starts with a rush and you type furiously to get everything in your head out onto 'paper' but then something interferes, like eating or sleeping, and when you get back you have lost the thread. And then you can't seem to do anything but stare aimlessly at the page which in turn is mocking you in it's pristine white state.

I have found a number of things that get me going again, most of the time but not everytime. One is to do short form ideas for what I see happening in the story next. I print out the last three pages or so and then take them up to bed with me. Then I lay down in bed and read them. then I close my eyes and let my mind wander from where I left off. I generally get some vague ideas of where I want to go from there, I jot them down longhand. When I say get ideas and write them out, I am being very vague unless a particularly good piece of dialouge leaps out of the netherworld at me. One short form sentence can generally outline an entire page or half of one. Then I take my notes down to the computer when I am ready to type again and read the last page and then glance at my notes... things start to happen there. Even if I have to push myself for the first sentence, things just start to flow after that.

Or one of the other things that I do, if I get a new idea when I am working on another thing - I make the short form notes in a word file, getting out all of my ideas in stream of conciousness typing and then I go back and reread the story that I was working on to get back into it. But I tend to have at least three wips on the go at once. So I don't know how to stop fluttering all that well <g>

Just some ideas.

Marns
~pobody's nerfect