AMAZING!!!!!! notworthy This was the best part yet and that was a difficult task. I had a silly grin on my face the entire way through. It was just beautiful. And you treated us to a nice long part too.

The whole thing was so L&K as we've come to know them, with their honesty, adorable awkwardness and complete love and trust of one another. I almost had tears in my eyes. Who knows what I'll be like if we get to the wedding! The way you wrote the reading of the letter was perfect. I had been looking forward to that bit. laugh

I stayed up reading it last night (my final check before bed!!) but had no time for FDK (not my length FDK anyway!!) So...

Lois glanced up from her letter.

Kal stared at her, eyes alight, mouth curved into the most seductive grin she had ever seen – its power enhanced immeasurably by his complete ignorance of its potency. His chin sat in the cleft of his hand, thumb along one tantalising jaw-line, fingers clustered around the other.

He showed no inclination to move any time soon.
Boy can I picture this!! Wonderful imagery. This is where I started smiling and I didn't stop. I think I was actually smiling from when I saw you'd posted but anyway...

“Absolutely,” he said with rolling emphasis. “I’m just taking a few moments to enjoy what is inside me. I have never felt this good. Never.”
I love how he phrases this. It is so Kal. Adorably sincere.

Kal dropped his hand from his face and straightened against the bed-head. “Lois, I understand why you wouldn’t agree to marry me ... and I know we have to work out many things ... but please know that even if you say ‘yes’ to my question, I will never force you into anything you aren’t comfortable with.”
I love how he is so keen to always emphasise this. I think it has partly to do with his lack of experience, he is so afraid of doing or saying the wrong thing or his actions being perceived wrongly. Also, now more than ever the idea of upsetting Lois terrifies him.

Their fists thudded into their chests with soft harmony. In Kal’s unwavering eyes, Lois could see the gravity and the significance of this action. “Have you ever done that before?” she asked. “With clenched fists from both people?”
This was a great idea of Kal's and was so symbolic of how he is moving away from what he has always been taught, not that he has ever believed himself superior.

“My culture touts the ideal that all people are born equal.”

“That is a very good ideal,” Kal said. “But it is not the Kryptonian way.” He continued caressing her hand. “With you it is different ... *you* are different.”
Kal has a very idealistic view of earth, viewing it as a place full of love, happiness and people like Lois!

“That is a wonderful thing. The best thing.” Kal smiled. “Lois, I love you,” he said. “Without you, I wouldn’t even know of love. With you, my heart is full of love. I know there will never be a single moment that I will not love you.” He smiled, a little hesitantly. “Will you marry me?”
This is in a way so simple, but sounds so genuine, he just saying exactly what he feels, which is what Lois told him to do.

She grinned. “It didn’t actually say the bit about you asking me to marry you again.”

“It didn’t?”

“No.”

“Was that a joke?”

“Not a joke exactly,” Lois said. “More an impulsive moment.”
I just love the gentle, easy, flowing tone of their dialogue, it is so natural. Now you can really feel how at ease they are, and how much they have come to understand one another despite the obvious barriers.

“If I were an Earth man, would I understand why you changed your mind about marrying me?”

“Probably not.”

Kal grinned. “That’s good, then.”
It's so sweet how he's always trying to match up to earth men. He has no idea what a catch he is. He is so humbled by the fact that Lois wants to be with him.

With a smile that splashed further fuel onto the fire raging inside him, Lois dropped her eyes to the paper and began to read. “Dear Kal, I love you. I love you so much, I cannot imagine living without you.”

“I could not live without you,” Kal declared with certainty.
I love the way Kal answers the letter as she reads, and does so so seriously, considering every word.

Lois looked at him. “The next bit of the letter is sad.”

“I want to hear it,” Kal said eagerly. “I want to know everything you feel – even when it isn’t good.”
He is so eager to know everything about her and share in the bad and good, further emphasising that he does understand what it truly means to love someone and commit to them.

“I thought you didn’t want to marry me,” Kal said. “It felt like you would never want to marry me.”
Poor Kal.

But she wanted to keep on giving to him. “I ... you ... I never ...” Kal gave up trying to find the words that could do any sort of justice to what he was feeling. He lifted her hand and tenderly kissed it, hoping Lois would understand.

She did. She smiled.
rotflol

“Because a relationship changes when you do that,” Lois said. “It’s like it moves into a new phase and there can be no going back.”

“I wouldn’t want to go back,” Kal said with certainty.
Again, Kal is so matter-of-fact. I love it. It's interesting that Lois doesn't touch on one of the fundemental points, the chance if they did that she may get pregnant. We've no idea, nor has she, if New Krypton has such thing as contraceptives and would they want to use them anyway? Much as I'm sure Lois would be happy to have children with Kal, I can't imagine she would want to get pregnant until things were a little more settled.

She smiled. “Once we are married, we will do that,” she said.
She is quite certain about this. I know she loves and desires Kal but, as I said, is she ready to get pregnant? If, of course, they are compatible.

As if Kal wasn't keen enough to get married already, then she throws that into the mix! Of course, it's hardly shocking to us that she'd agree to 'physical contact' after marriage, but Kal hadn't dared let himself hope she would let him.

“Thank you, Lois,” Kal said. “That is such a beautiful letter. I will want to read it again and again. Would you mind if I keep it? So that one day I can read it for myself?”

She offered it to him and Kal folded it with the utmost care and placed it in the pocket of his jacket.
Aww, it means so much to him.

Apparently ... they were *waiting
After seeing Kal's reaction, suddenly Lois isn't so sure she can wait, if she ever was sure!!

She stood and grinned at him. “Do your plans stop now I’ve agreed to marry you?”

He grinned back. “Not at all. This is just the beginning.”
Hee, hee, I'd forgotten about his grand plan.

“I thought I’d show you the cliffs to the east of New Krypton.”
I agree with the others, this sounds like a bit of a dubious idea, but if it is as we think, no doubt another power will reveal itself in the nick of time.

Kal felt the beginnings of his answering smile – but it didn’t have the time to develop before his mouth became fully occupied with a lingering, moving kiss.
A 'moving kiss', I still love that phrase!

As he kissed her, Kal understood – fully understood – why Lois had wanted to hold him, but felt she couldn’t. Kissing her, kissing her knowing it was the beginning of so much more, was like standing very close to a raging fire. It warmed you ... wonderfully ... but you knew that eventually, you had to move away, or you would get burned.

Kal didn’t want to move away.

He wanted to be burned.
Oooh, not long now Kal - I hope!! You described this wonderfully.

“I want to marry you quickly,” he said. “Within days.”

She seemed a little surprised by that, but then smiled. “Good idea.”
Why is she surprised, he's so eager and excited. He proposed eight times!!

Phew! What a part!

Laurach said:

I need a fan! Wow that was beautiful and sexy and hot! I loved all of it. Every emotion and every motion in the right direction. I have been feeling crappy all day but this story gave me such a lift. I can not tell you how happy I was to see it here and how much happier I was after reading it. Lovely! More soon.
This describes exactly how I felt last night, this story is a great cure for all ills and general stresses of life! And it was very hot in places, even though it was in essence so innocent.

KathyB said:

I'm sorry you had trouble posting, though it's good to know I wasn't crazy (or alone) in hitting refresh a thousand times yesterday, LOL.
No, that was definitely me too, the withdrawal symptons had started, and that is the biggest one!

Em

"There's a fine line between brilliance and lunacy" - CK to LL(Madame Ex)