Originally posted by TOC:
She had his mother's wedding band tucked safely away and she'd raided her secret stash to buy Clark a ring the day before. Who knew you could get a wedding ring for under forty bucks? She hadn't told him that though – she hadn't even told him she'd bought it. It wasn't a very nice one, but someday – if this all worked out – she'd get him a better ring. And have it engraved. Engraving for this one was too expensive. Hers was engraved. His parents had had them engraved when they got married. Hers said 'I've loved you since the beginning...' His dad's had said, '...I'll love you till the end', but his dad's had been lost over the years.
So moving. Lois bought Clark a ring. Her parents' rings had been engraved. Her mother's ring had said 'I've loved you since the beginning...' and her father's had said 'I'll love you till the end', but his ring had been lost. How typical, and how appropriate. Because I don't believe he loved her till the end, even though he did come back to her.

Ann - I read through this two or three times because I wasn't understanding... Lois has Martha's ring, but Jonathan's was lost - they were the ones that were engraved - not Sam and Ellen's. I totally agree with you there - even if they had been - I think you're right about Sam and about Ellen too. The phrases don't describe either one of them.

I had a hard time figuring out why you would think Jonathan wouldn't have loved Martha till the end wink .

Carol