But even if the government is totally right in everything it does, it doesn't change the fact that we now live in a time where suspicion and paranoia are necessary, where freedoms are curtailed, and where the innocence of even fifteen years ago seems like a brighter time.
I think that was the point of my comments. I have my opinions about the things the US government has or has not done over the past 7 years, but what I'm really saying is that Shayne's story exemplifies some of the more bitter results. It's sad to me that my son isn't growing up in a world as kind as the one I grew up in. Although I want him to be able to trust in the goodness of other people, our decisions and situations require us to be suspicious and fearful of others. mecry

Shayne has shown that Lois has followed all of the rules, shown courage and bravery in the face of personal danger and yet, she's a suspect of terrorism through her relation to someone being held as a possible 'enemy combatant.' Susan's warnings are very real - Lois shouldn't do or say anything to piss off the feds, otherwise all the good will earned in the past isn't worth squat.