All right... a mix of comments from me. I'm not so sure how smug I want to be about already having read the end... *cough* You'll see why at the end of this post. laugh

Her stupidity, a lunatic scientist’s irresponsibility and three fragments of hot lead had ripped him away from her.
Ouch!!! I still... well, that line... ouch, Wendy. You wound me. frown ((( (That's going in the Hall of Fame, btw)

Four weeks ago today
He's not told her?? In a MONTH? Where is he? I've got to hit him!!

Oh, she’d carried on. Turned up to work as normal, even found his killers. Gained a cold satisfaction out of seeing them charged and held in custody pending trial. She was still turning in front-page stories, too. But the thrill had gone out of it.
I really love this paragraph because it really shows just how much she's affected. The apathy is alarming. frown

A tapping sound at the window. Hastily, she put the photo down. He wouldn’t like to see her looking at it again. He kept telling her that she needed to move on with her life, that Clark wouldn’t want her to grieve for him for ever. It was time to move on, he’d told her the last time she’d mentioned Clark to him. Time to accept that he was gone, to remember him fondly but put him in the past.
Bah! Double-edged sword here. Clark's deceit and his own grief wrapped up in a sick twist of condolence (of sorts) for Lois. And it begs one question: Just how thick is a Kryptonian skull!! razz

Actually, there were times when it almost felt like working with Clark.
I love that line. Because... well, dang. You can just imagine how it was. Clark is sitting there on the couch as Superman, trying hid damnedest to help Lois (and himself) through the grieving process. He feels guilty that he's left her without a partner, so he's helping her - because he can, because he wants to... and because, truth be told, he needs to do it for himself because he misses it. He's mourning just as much as (dare I say more than?) Lois is for the death of Clark Kent. And he's using Superman to that purpose... and he's slipping. Forgetting for brief moments that he can't really ever be Clark again (because he's a lunkhead), and it shows through. And that brings us to how Lois is feeling... almost the same as Clark is - she's still got a friend who can help her out with investigations and general chatting, but it's painful because that was something she and Clark shared. Then she glimpses moments when it just feels like Clark is there with her again, and it only takes a second for the sight of the red and blue suit to just crush her all over again. Really, this is so hard for both of them. goofy

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.