First of all blush Thank you both so much! I do love Christmas stories! Though I feel so sorry for poor Lois in this one!

There could have been...

If only...

She hurried into her apartment building, trying to force back the hot tears springing to her eyes. She wouldn’t cry again. She would not cry again...
Uhoh. Ohno...

There was no such thing as a merry Christmas. If there ever had been, there would never be again. Not now.

She dragged herself towards the kitchen. She wasn’t hungry, but making coffee would give her something to do.

The photograph stared tauntingly at her from its position on her dresser.
ACK! *hides* Not a sad Christmas! Not a... *gasp* TOGOM Christmas!

Her stupidity, a lunatic scientist’s irresponsibility and three fragments of hot lead had ripped him away from her.
Eeek! *beats on Clark. You can't leave Lois alone for Christmas! It isn't allowed!

As if he hadn’t been the most precious thing in her life.

As if she could ever do that anyway.

Forget Clark? Never. Not as long as she was still existing.
*sob*

It was strange; ever since Clark’s death she and Superman had spent a lot more time together than ever before. At first, he’d come to check on her, to make sure that she was okay, to apologise for not being able to save Clark and to assure himself that she didn’t blame him. He’d stayed to comfort her - and, she’d actually suspected, to be comforted himself in return.
Okay.. this isn't exactly what I meant.. smirk

Actually, there were times when it almost felt like working with Clark.
Gee, I wonder why...

He shouldn’t have come. Even as he made small talk about their respective days, he knew he shouldn’t have come. He’d promised himself that he wouldn’t, but he wasn’t able to stay away... it was Christmas. And, if he was honest with himself, he’d needed to see her. He’d been looking forward to this Christmas so much. Before.
Yeah, you just have to torture yourself, don't you. That bond, drawing you together.. your stupidity, pushing you apart! :p

He should just move on, start anew in a place far from here, be that nobody again, but... he couldn’t. He’d started a life... he’d made friends, and now he was trapped by it. Trapped by the life Clark Kent created but achingly apart from it. That photograph... was a painful reminder of everything he’d lost. Of everything he’d never have. And... why he could never leave.
*sniffles*

“I feel like I stopped living a long time ago.”
Tissues. I need tissues. Where'd I put them?

Once she’d accepted that Clark wasn’t dead because he was actually from Krypton, where could they have gone from there?

Absolutely nowhere.
Sure there is! Bermuda.. Bahamas.. (come on, pretty mama. Key Lar.. *cough* Sorry bout that)

She froze for a second, an unreadable emotion flitting across her face before she stepped past him and closed the window.
Come into my parlor, said the spider to the fly...

“I know you two were close,” she said, moving closer to him. “He was your friend too. I think you should talk about him. I think... you need to.”
Oh, how uncomfortable. "Well, Lois.. Superman and I.. er, well, one minute I was Clark, the next minute, my.. biceps.. were revealed to the world..."

Her eyes widened. He’d cared about Clark far more than she’d ever imagined. Far more than anyone would have who wasn’t a parent or spouse or...

... Or lover.
*snigger* I love it when she jumps to that conclusion.

He was kissing her. Kissing her like his life depended on it.
OOH!

He pressed his forehead against the wall. His voice was quiet when he answered. “No, not exactly.”

“Why, then?” He almost jumped when her hand found his shoulder.

“Because I was Clark.”
GAH! You would leave it here, wouldn't you. *whimper*

I love it! Though you know what I'm going to say. "Clark, if she won't go with you, I will!" Er, no, that's not it. MORE! Can't wait to see the rest of this!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited