Wow. Just. Wow. I’m simply speechless right now. Please allow a moment for recovery.

Ok. I may actually be able to form something resembling a coherent response now. Wendy, I absolutely LOVED this story. I have been a fan of your work for quite a while and have read the majority of your stories that are on the archive. As you remarked in one of your responses to feedback, this story does have a reduced amount of introspection in comparison to some of your previous stories. Don’t get me wrong, I often like the introspection, it helps to really understand what the characters are thinking and feeling. However this story – with time being such a critical factor throughout the entire narrative – very much benefited from the leaner writing style. It improved the flow of the story and helped match the frantic pace that was present in the story.

And the final part was simply wonderful. A pitch-perfect end to the hell of the previous “24 Hours.”

And every minute that continued to happen gave him more hope that they’d done it. They’d saved her.

It was lead. They knew that for sure now.
As I read this, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I did read the WHAM warning early, so I knew the toys would be put back together. However, that knowledge did not in any way diminish the dramatic impact of each part of the story.

For long moments, neither of them spoke. Clark couldn’t have found the words, anyway; all he could do was look at her. Take in the fact that, contrary to what he’d believed, lived, for the past day, she was alive. And was going to stay that way - well, barring bad guys and kidnappings and plots to blow up the world.
This line was great. It so perfectly captures the moment that Lois and Clark are sharing. The last bit had that wry and dry humour that I love so much (that extra “u” in humor was added in your honour for writing such an amazingly wonderful story.)

Oh. Right.

Regrets, now that their hasty marriage was something she had to face in the cold light of day?
He didn’t want a divorce. That was just being unrealistic, though. Sure, he’d told her that he loved her yesterday, and she’d even said she loved him back. But he couldn’t hold her to a deathbed declaration.
Did she want to be married to Clark?

Did she want to be married at all?
But still, she wasn’t ready to make that decision. For him... or for her. Carefully, she asked, “Can we... not talk about that yet?”
I enjoyed your handling of the little issue of their marriage. The reactions of both Lois and Clark were very realistic and true to character. They both love each other and they both realize that fact. They have become very close in the past 24 hours. I am reminded of the song that says: “What a difference a day makes, twenty-four little hours.” Much has changed in the past day for both Lois and Clark. However, one day is still just one day, no matter how extraordinary that day may have been. All of the adjustments that both will have to make will be more…shall we say interesting than either of them realize.

The story of how they adjust to their completely altered lives has the makings of a great sequel.

Take your time convalescing - my officers will appreciate it. Careful of the thorns - like someone I know, they can sting! Welcome back to the land of the living - Bill H.
I loved how you were able to use Henderson a lot in this story. I feel that he was tragically under-used in the series, but your incarnation of him in this story is great.

If you were to write a sequel, we could even enjoy more of this Henderson.

“Well, I guess we know what our next big investigation is, partner. And we’ll get to do it together after all.”

“Yeah.” He grinned. “I’m looking forward to it. And Bill’s promised us exclusive access. He doesn’t expect this to be over any time soon - not with someone as slippery as Luthor, and with so many lawyers on his payroll. I think it could keep us busy for a few months.”
I loved how Clark told Lois about Luthor’s legal troubles.

The story of how Luthor’s empire falls apart and how Lois and Clark cover it has the makings of a great sequel.

In short, brava.

In case you didn’t notice, I believe that this story is practically begging for a sequel (or is it me that is begging?)

This story is well tied together in the end, but it holds so much hope for the future. I suppose that is appropriate given the content of the story. That same hope for the future would be well addressed in a sequel.

-Em

P.S I know it has been said that readers are insatiable. To that charge I cheerfully plea “Guilty.”

"But my experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better, they don't know anything at all."

-Oscar Wilde, "Lady Windermere's Fan"