Originally posted by Shallowford:
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
[b] On the positive side - at least this clown can never run for the presidency again after this.
Though there are those (in Congress) who oppose the two-term limit.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/third-term-for-obama/ [/b]
Yeah... No. I'm sorry, I know too much when it comes to history of the world (and Rome in particular) to EVER think that's a good idea. Washington retired after two terms primarily because he didn't want to be a permanant ruler on par with a king and that's exactly what would happen. Even more- any president like that would actually have MORE power than the Queen (or later on, King) of England. There the royal family is essentially only head of State NOT Head of Government (the US president is both and we have to really think about voting with that in mind more than I think we sometimes do.)

Honestly, the fact that a former (two term) president can no longer serve actually serves to create a neat situation where there are essentially a group of former presidents that can also serve as advisors to the current one in a sort of "council do Elders" sort of fashion. They would be the only ones that can truly understand what it means to be president and would be able to give advise no one else would be able to. One of the things that I distinctly remember from an interview with Bush (and I think it was confirmed) was that the first call Obama made after the confirmed death of Bin Laden was to the former presidents and Bush Jr in particular. Would he have been able to do such a thing if he had still (potentially) been running against him?

Sorry about side-tracking this conversation but despite my opinion of ANYONE in presidential office, I don't think more than eight years is wise.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)