I'm not going to get into the Anne debate because I haven't read the books, but I have to comment on this:

Because all societies just aren't equally good, and all customs aren't equally good, either. And I insist that we should be allowed to say that.
You're allowed to say anything you want, but I'm afraid it's hard to reconcile this with an idea that we are all equal. Ultimately, you are railing against circumstance-chance which makes cultures and societies different from one another. You appear to forget this when you demonize whole cultures and societies without any context. So given your railings on sexism, your "tough" stance on the inequality of whole cultures and societies with respect to your own ultra modern Westernized one (with which you evaluate them) rings hypocritical and ridiculously insensitive.

You can voice any claims you want Ann, but expect me to do the same. No matter how you dress it up...to claim inequality among cultures is to claim that some are less. And less than what Ann? Yours? I don't think anyone benefits from pointing out who is less. In fact, I think it's quite offensive, I don't care how many anecdotes you dish out. They prove nothing to me except what Hasini mentioned--a sort of tunnel vision, where nothing, certainly not facts, will jar you from what you believe at least for a moment to entertain other possibilities.

No, obviously not all customs are to be applauded and yes, some are to be denounced. But to stand up and say that X means a whole culture and society is "not as good" (ie less) is crossing the line to disrespect, no matter how obliquely you write it.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png