Hasini said so much of what I was going to, but I can't not comment, when you're taking a series of books so close to my heart and warping the plot, without even describing it accurately (something, by the way, you have been told once and again that you tend to do with L&C as well - and you yourself have admitted to having seen very little of the series).

In Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, and Anne of the Island, what adventures did Anne have? They were all interesting and fun to read about, but none of them were full of mystery and action-filled adventure. They were very much about a unique girl like Anne growing up and coming into her own, in a domestic little town called Avonlea. (Well, I suppose the last one was more about Redmond College.)

So I'm not sure what you were expecting to find in Anne's House of Dreams. This time it was about a young married couple in another small community. Miss Cornelia, Captain Jim and Leslie were all wonderful and loveable characters to me. Anne wasn't lonely there.

You say she seemed to go on many lonely walks. Did you miss the whole point of the first book in the series, Ann? Anne had a unique imagination that could keep her occupied for hours on her own, and she loved giving it that freedom. She also enjoyed nature and everything she met - every little rock and flower - were precious to her and were company she sometimes preferred over the company of people. I suppose from the way you got so many details wrong, I can assume it's been ages since you've read them, but I'm not really that forgiving when someone rats on my Anne. <g>

Finally, Leslie Moore's husband was a mean drunk before he left. He came back, having received a blow to the head, brain-damaged and reduced to the mental state of a child. Leslie would never have said so, but she preferred him this way - she was safe from him. She was terrified when Gilbert brought up the possibility of surgery to restore his health (but eventually consented to it). When Gilbert went ahead with the surgery, the patient woke up and identified himself as her husband's cousin, who was identical to him right down to the differently-coloured eyes (well, they're described as being similar enough, anyway, as adults, that the differences were attributed to whatever he had been through on his voyage - and Leslie hadn't known about the cousin's existance so couldn't have possibly concluded otherwise about his identity as Dick Moore). Her husband had been dead for 10 years. He left, of course, for his own life, because he didn't know Leslie.

The young man (Owen Ford) you are referring to her seeing discreetly was a lodger she had living with her, while her (incapacitated) "husband" was still around. They loved each other in secret and never revealed it to each other. He was also friendly with the rest of the characters, integrating himself to the community for the summer he spent there. I think it was down to Anne, in the end, to push them together after the whole husband/cousin episode was over, but even if I'm wrong about that detail, it doesn't matter - they became a couple only when it was clear Leslie was free.

As for Anne taking care of children and staying at home - as other have said, she was a product of her time. As well, she was fulfilled in her life and her relationship with Gilbert was the sort I'd like to have some day. Taking care of a household and six children was a full time job no less busy than being a teacher (probably busier, in fact).

I also resent the way you describe Diana's situation. You put down their physical appearance, first of all, unnecessarily and hurtfully - overweight people deserve credit and happiness no less than others. As well, Diana married at the expected age and she too, was in love with her husband as he was with her, and found happiness with him.

I wonder what you would have preferred for Anne. Your basic point is that kids kill a marriage - so should she not have had children (whatever that may have meant to her love life) and remained a teacher? Do you think that would have made her happier? I think, if so, that you should sit down and reread the books.

Actually, I recommend everyone does that. They're just that awesome. smile

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)