I don't think it's been getting overly political. People have discussed their opinions about what could be done to change things, and politics *does* tend to hamper progress to some degree.

I pay about $2.35 a gallon for gas here in my part of Maryland, which I think is close to the current average for the U.S.? At least, it was average last time I heard anything. However, while I can't afford a hybrid (wish they'd come up with a way to make them cheaper), I do have a fuel-efficient car. I get about 40 miles to the gallon, which is pretty decent for a car over here.

There was a commercial on TV a while ago for some SUV (don't remember which). In the commercial, the SUV was driving through this forest that was trying to attack him (think "ents," like in Lord of the Rings), and the SUV just barely escapes. I believe it was trying to show the SUV as something that keeps you safe from all the dangers outside, but my husband and I thought it was creation rebelling against its biggest despoilers. *grin* I agree that there's a place for SUVs... in the country, the mountains, places where 4-wheel drive is essential, etc. But there should not be the demand for them that there is.