I live at the beach in Maryland so they jack up our prices always because they say it cost more to bring it here. It is around $2.20 a gallon. I the early 1970's I had a car that had a 26 gallon tank and I could fill up for around $10 and I only did that once a month. Lived in the city on a direct bus line.

At the beach they would like you to take the bus but I drive because I'm almost a mile from the bus stop (have bad knee) also if you go to the store and buy any cold items they are hot or melted by the time you get home. Also you can have several buses pass you because they are full. However I don't jump in the car and run to the store for any little thing anymore. I try to make sure that I run all my errands at one time.

One of the reasons gas in the states varies so much is the local and state taxes. As I said I live at the beach in Maryland but am 2 blocks from the Delaware state line. I remember a phone in question to the local radio station about the differences in gas prices between Maryland and Delaware at least here on the "lower shore". They said that it had to do with each states taxes on gas so I would assume they vary state to state just as they do on cigerattes and liquor.