the electronic system of brazil consists in a machine on each section that carries a diskette. the president of the section authorizes u by the means of a password to vote only once. You press ur candidate number and confirm. You voter's registration card returns to u after that.
I'm a bit confused. Is your registration card actually in the machine when you press your candidate number? Wouldn't there be a risk that the machine was registering who voted for whom then?

Pam asked:
One question -- if, God forbid, some of the diskettes lost data for some reason, is there a paper trail that can be re-counted?
I was wondering the same thing.

Oh, and I'm glad you both decided to post here, Quel and MDL, even if you aren't Americans. Especially since you aren't Americans. I think it is interesting to read about how voting is done in other countries!

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster