Sounds like a good system you've got going there in Brazil smile One question -- if, God forbid, some of the diskettes lost data for some reason, is there a paper trail that can be re-counted? We've been talking a lot in the States about methods of voting.

I like the way my area does it -- we get a cardstock paper ballot & special pens. There are broken arrows next to each choice; you draw a line to connect the arrows for the candidate of your choice. Once we're doing marking the ballot (in the privacy of a booth), it gets fed into an optical scanner, and tallied that way, but the original ballots are kept, too. Last week, our polling place was packed (for early voting, they only open a few locations) even with about a dozen booths set up. So they set out folding tables with pens and doubled their capacity for voters. The tables didn't have the privacy of the booths, but if you wanted a booth you could wait a little longer to get one; I didn't really care. Anyway, it usually goes very smoothly, once they verify your registration.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K