The first thing his partner had pounced on when he returned was the box of cook's matches among his haul. Curiously, she had seemed almost disappointed that he'd found them at first, but whatever that had been about, she'd quickly rallied, patting him on the shoulder as though aware she was being ungrateful, and declaring she was definitely going to make sure she was partnered with him for the next Daily Planet Annual Family Picnic's scavenger hunt. They'd be sure to win with his skills, she confided, adding darkly, unless the team from Accounts cheated again, like they had last time.
I want to learn this trick! You tell us so many great things here in this seemingly random, off-hand way. Poor Lois on seeing the matches...when she was so satisfied that she had found Mr Cabin Owner's weakness. I can just see her face falling. But she moves right to noting the advantages of Clark's resourcefulness. For her own gain. As long as no one cheats!

Love her. Love how you she sounds just exactly right in what she says and thinks.

And then you change the mood so perfectly with Clark's "Penny for them." And later, and most poignant for me, his "Thinking of accepting?"

Oh. Made my heart ache.

Wonderful. Really wonderful. These comments of mine in no way do it justice.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank