Aaaahh! What was she SAYING?? Lab?? What did he miss???

I agree with Lynn that it's somewhat telling that Lois wants to talk to Clark about Lex, even knowing how Clark feels about him. I had gotten the strong impression from earlier in this part that Lois wasn't considering marrying Lex at all... she was resenting him for blindsiding her, for (Lois's description of it) ambushing her:
How could she have missed it? There must have been signs, surely? How could she have been so blind? So stupid?

And what was she going to do about it?
I got the strong impression that she was wondering more how to get herself out of this situation entirely-- not whether she should say yes or no, but how to extricate herself from a situation where she feels in over her head. How do you tell someone that you don't see it that way at all, when they appear (Ha! We know better, don't we?) to be laying their heart at your feet? And you don't feel that way at all?

So if Clark can keep his cool, what is she going to tell him? What DID she tell him (Huh, Labby? What??!!) when he (and we!) were all distracted? Is she asking him for advice on how to get out of this situation? This is very interesting because I just can't get a feel on what's going to happen next. Clark is so (justifiably) touchy about Lex, he could become standoffish enough that Lois gives up and gets angry at his attitude. All the physical stuff he's feeling-- exhausted, achy, cold to his bones, and HUNGRY-- could only complicate his ability to stay calm, collected, and approachable about this. And Lois-- she's upset that she's been put into this situation by Lex, to the point she's shoved the whole thing out of sight, locked up in the dark attic corners of her mind. It might not take much for her to just shove it all back in there, instead of getting it out and talked about-- depends on Clark's reaction, I think.

And that's another thing-- with the added unpredictablilty of Clark's powers, we don't really know what'll happen there, either. Will his powers come back fully during their stay in the cabin? Will he fall into a deeply exhausted sleep and float? We've all been assuming this'll be partly a revelation story (or ok, at least I have)... but will it be? There's no sunlight there to speed up the "healing" from the kryptonite exposure. With only two sections to go, maybe it will remain a secret. Clark was certainly relieved that Lois didn't find anything strange about his actions when they were being shot at (other than her perfectly justified "how could you be so foolish" sort of reaction we'd ALL have if we thought our loveable but normal lunkhead was going to try to stop a bullet for us).

So c'mon, Labby, GIVE! What happens next?? You've got us all firmly hooked. Nice job (again!) on this part, especially the funny bits like Lois' expectations (vs. the actuality) re Clark's actions, and the heebie-jeebies Clark is feeling without his superpowers to give him any advance warnings, and the soup selections! It's like the owner(s) try so hard to be "one of the locals" but fall just shy of it: you've got the prestocked baskets of wood in the shed, the filled and ready-to-hand lanterns, the camp stove (Oh, what woodsmen these men be!)... and then you have... Lobster Bisque (What woodsmen...er, huh??).

I'm looking forward to more!

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler