A man who lost his wife told me that one of the things that happened during her illness was that he ceased to talk carelessly, like one normally does. I think if Lois really cared for Clark, even as a friend, she would think about him all the time, not about herself and her insecurities.
I love the story but I really think Lois has crossed the line into inhumanity here. The kindness and friendship she showed by her willingness to give birth has been totally decimated by her actions since their marriage.

They never should have married. He is sick; he is dying! His possibly last wish was to marry Lois and have a child he could call his own! That really should have not been too much for an intelligent adult to understand. If she couldn't do it, she should have backed out, not used him as a whipping boy for her vicious tongue and insecurities. It's all he can do to try to live each day to the fullest and she has made his possibly last days H**L!

This situation gave Season 1 Lois a chance to demonstrate that she had an unselfish bone in her body. She failed.