Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
I did a quick calculation. Based on a diameter of 17 miles across, to cast a shadow that reached the ground, Nightfall would have had to be less than 2000 miles away. If it was moving at 30,000 mph (as the script says) then it would have hit (or missed) the Earth approximately 4 minutes after everyone saw the shadow.

This is one of the reasons that Bev continuously tells me to stop analyzing the so-called science when we watch tv or movies.
You know, Bob, I'm the same way. I don't mind if there's a reasonable amount of Handwaving and Techno Babble if that moves the story along, avoids tedious exposition, or sets up something important.

But I don't like it when stuff is *obviously* stupid or impossible. That really messes up my Willing Suspension of Disbelief .
I have to agree with that. I'm the same way. blush

That being said - at which number were we?

87. Your future - and that of your family and far-off descendants is not set in stone.
88. Super powers are dominant. Most of the time.
89. If you're Kryptonian and grew up on Earth, you'll learn from your kids how to use your telepathic talent.
90. Despite you and your spouse being from different planets and scientist saying you can't sire children, you will have a number of them. Because a time-traveller in a bowler hat said so. (Your oldest child might be cloned from you, or be born by your birth wife on NK, though.)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)