Tempus had known he was an alien. Tempus had wanted him to die. Tempus had said his body would rot.

Next to hers.

Had Tempus killed Lana?
When I first read the first chapter, I thought that Tempus had killed Lana. It was really pretty confusing. After reading it through several times, I decided that Tempus must have meant that he thought Lois was dead in Africa, so he was dumping Clark in the same area to die because if he had been talking about Lana, Clark would have known it. Now it seems my first interpretation might be right.

If Tempus killed Lana, that would make Clark's situation much easier because he wouldn't have to bother with a divorce. On the other hand, if Tempus killed Lana, he probably framed Clark for it. Then if Clark shows his face in Metropolis again, he will have to deal with Lana's accusations of abuse and his disappearance lending credence to whatever evidence Tempus has concocted that implicates him in her murder. And of course, Clark being Clark, he's bound to make some statement that it's "his fault" that she's dead, which would be overheard and used against him, no matter that he actually meant that he felt guilty that he wasn't there to protect her, not that he actually did it.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)