Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
I was using 101 as an example, since I don't know off the top of my head what freeways are in Southern CA besides that one. I bow to your superior knowledge on that point.
Actually, "freeways" are "Interstates", like I-5 and I-405, which have entrance ramps and exit ramps; their name comes from their opposite designation of the toll roads (made famous in the Eastern US), hence why they are "free". I-15 will get you to Las Vegas, and the I-10 to Phoenix, AZ. 101 is the "Highway Coast 101" (highways were the major roads before freeways systems were made in the 60s-70s, or they are "state highways" designated by the State.) Toll roads charge the people driving on them, while "freeways" are paid for by taxes (yes, I know, still not "free" are they). The 101, like Route 66, goes through towns and has stoplights, businesses, and residential sections (although these are few and far between on the 101). Most highways are 2 lane roads (one way in each direction). Actually, the 101 goes all the way south through San Diego from Olympic Peninsula (Port Angeles, and Forks - made famous from Twilight) in Washington state. It only breaks up (disappears) just north of Oceanside, CA where Camp Pendelton is located. As you may have guessed, I've done a fair bit of driving in my life. laugh (steps away from history podium). - Sorry for once again going off topic, just clarify. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.