Originally posted by mozartmaid:
Ah well, I am an east coast girl. What do I know? wink I'll add in a real highway (or would you use freeway/expressway?) number before I send it to the archives.
In California, it's a highway if it can have occasional cross-streets and rare stop lights. Freeways always have entrance/exit ramps, and they never have stop lights. On both the speed limit tends to be 60mph and up. Expressways are major roads that have less-frequent-than-normal stoplights and tend to have speed limits around 45 to 55mph.

In the Bay Area, we'd say, "He got on the freeway," or, "He got on 101." I think calling it "the 101" is more a Southern CA thing, so that's what you're looking for.

I'm amused by Dean having a crush on Lois. It looks like you've posted the second part, and I'm eager to read it. smile

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)