Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
In the Bay Area, we'd say, "He got on the freeway," or, "He got on 101." I think calling it "the 101" is more a Southern CA thing, so that's what you're looking for.
Technically the 101 is very much on the coast in SoCa, so not anywhere near the major studios, most of which are in Studio City (hence the name), Universal City (hence the name), or Burbank (made famous by the Tonight Show). I lived in Hollywood proper, ie. just off Hollywood Blvd. (I wouldn't live there again, BTW) several blocks from where the Kodak Theater (where they have the Oscars), Mann's Chinese Theater (same complex, BTW), and the Egyptian Theater (across the street, and the best place in town to catch a classic film, since it's a cinema from the 1930s of the ilk of the Mann's Chinese), and the El Capitan (Disney-Owned theater, if you're going to watch a Disney film in LA, that's the place to go). People who live in the city really do try and avoid the freeways (well, at least, I did), because they are more like parking lots between 6-10am and 3-7pm (and also around lunch). The major freeways are the I-5, which goes N/S and "the 405" (technically, the I-405, I=Interstate), I'm not quite sure where it goes, since I only took it to get to LAX (North side of the city, I don't recommend it either. I always flew in and out of the Burbank Airport, which was very close to Hollywood and no crowds. laugh ) Major roads in the city like Santa Monica Blvd (which links Hollywood and Beverly Hills and heads towards Santa Monica) can also be clogged during certain times of day. This is mostly because California cities are very spread out and mass transit is slow and the subways limited (I used to ride the subway from Hollywood to Universal City and sometimes downtown LA, but that was about it). Cars are required to get anywhere, and you always have to pay for parking (even where you work and live), and spots also very limited (hence why valet parking is popular if you have $$).

Okay, I've gotten off-topic. Sorry. blush I was not too surprised that Dean got strange looks from others on the lot when he drove off with Lois. Most actors don't hang out together off-set, and everything they do is gossip and speculation is spread around easily. I liked how you showed that Dean was just a regular guy, living in a regular (not extravagant house), just trying to figure out what to do with his life now what thrust him into the limelight (and the income which came with it) has been taken away from him. clap

I was wondering if Tempus had taken Teri to Metropolis and dropped her in Lois's apartment, but since already knows what's coming next in Lois and Clark's life, she'd definitely have an advantage over poor Lois.

Off to read Part 2.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.