It would be bad enough trying to fly, but to do so in this getup… How would he be inspired to soar into the sky, if he didn’t want anyone to see him?
Good question.

“If Cat Grant is over at Clark’s apartment, I swear I’m going to tear her limb from limb,” he heard a very familiar voice grumbling outside.
dance she cares about Clark. Wait, we had not doubt. Oh well, we will be glad anyway.

Without thinking, he leapt over the ledge and landed with a thud in the alley.
Superman falling will cause confusion for Lois.

He needed to keep Lois from entering his apartment.
I guess that might be a good idea, although she will still want to see Clark, even with Superman there.

If she saw Cat up there, she would leap to wrong conclusions, and…
Good point.

Oh! He gasped. He was still in this getup.
I guess he forgot that detail.

He couldn’t let Lois see him like this, not if he couldn’t fly.
Well, he could try to distract Lois from his inability to fly.

He wasn’t even quite sure how he acted when he was Superman, especially with Lois. Anyway, he didn’t want to act when he was around her. He wanted to be himself.
He could just tell her the truth.

Clark put his hands into fists and with a determined nod, spun quickly.
Oh, this is a better plan than I expected. I was thinking he would just try to avoid Lois seeing him. Changing is a much better plan.

He pulled out his jeans, slipping them over his blue suit. There was no way he would hide his cape under his t-shirt, so he unhooked it and was about to press it into a square, when he remembered his glasses. He pulled those out and plunked them on his nose, and then stuck the folded cape into his back pocket.
I really love this explanation of how he changes.

He didn’t have any shoes, next time he’d have to think about that aspect.
Being shoeless near his apartment won't bring up too many concerns.

The red boots were certainly not Clark Kent’s style. For the time being, though he would put on his white socks over his red socks and hoped that Lois didn’t notice that he was ‘shoeless’.
I always wonder how much people notice when someone is shoeless.

When he stopped spinning, his hand hit the lid of a trashcan, knocking it into the other trash, causing a loud bang as all the cans fell over. “Good job there, Clark,” he grumbled to himself.
At least this way Lois is much more likely to notice him and not continue on to his apartment.

John Pack Lambert