Let me add my Holy Cow to the total and ditto the comments of some of the other gentle readers. Wow. This was a very powerful part. Just like Lois, I'm having a hard time *not* hugging Clark. His fears are so real, but he doesn't know yet that he can trust her completely.

My favorite part:
"Why did you take the notes?"

Lois hesitated. There was a long answer and a short answer. "Because, in my job, it's a good idea not to leave anything behind that could be used against you if it got into the wrong hands." She saw his look of confusion. "And I don't mean yours."

He didn't respond for a moment, and then a glimmer of insight lit his brown eyes.
Shows Lois just how intelligent Clark is and it shows Clark a lot about Lois' character and personality. She's bucking the system to treat him humanely.

It also foreshadows to me what Clark will be willing to do for Lois in the future. Now they will both be listening for the door and with the use of a little superspeed, it's even less likely that Lois will be caught. The partnership is born!

Ack! Short wait between posts = excellent! But now comes the miserably long wait for the next part. mecry

B