Hmm, I'm guessing Lois is in one of those shipping containers they were talking about ... and is no longer in Metropolis if Superman can't hear her. She's definitely in a pickle.

"Maybe," Clark added quietly.

"Maybe?" Her ears perked up. Was he thinking about staying in Metropolis instead? Please, god, let him want to spend the weekend with her. "You're not sure?"

His knee began to bounce even faster, setting the Jeep to rocking slightly. What in the world was up with him? It was way too early in the morning to be this anxious, especially for Clark, who was usually maddeningly calm. Even his words were jumpy. "No. I mean, yes. I'm going to Kansas. I just thought that, maybe, uh, you'd like to come with me?"
This exchange demonstrates why the end of S2 is my favorite time to write them in, when they are an acknowledged couple but still new at it. The way he asks this, even without our inside knowledge of how much he's asking, is wonderful. And even Lois's response works well. I normally get frustrated with these artificial roadblocks, but this one felt natural, I think mainly because Lois realized immediately what she'd done and how she'd blown it. They are both clearly into each other at this point, wanting to be together but neither wanting to apply too much pressure. And that feels natural rather than contrived.

"Bingo. You should buy the man another doughnut, Lois. Those guys, and several others who our caped friend has had personal contact with, have all been offered a million dollars if they could come up with something big and juicy about Superman."
This, however, was an unexpected twist. Does it tie in to why Lois was taken? Is it a red herring? Looking forward to finding out.

Kathy