Sorry I'm so behind on replying to FDK. Blame part 39 - it simply *wouldn't* cooperate.

Iolanthe laugh

Laura I *can* get rid of Mayson, but we can't have things fall into place too easily, can we? wink Thanks.

Artemis Thanks. Yes, Mayson is not nice.

Evelyn Re Clark's reaction. I've thought about what you said and I'm not sure how he could react. He couldn't thank her for waiting for him - that would be presumptuous. He might feel glad that no other man has been with her, but to express that might sound possessive. Overemphasising his shock could also be misinterpreted.

Thanks, Evelyn.

Betty and Ann About Mayson.

Firstly, I needed a villain. Other writers may be able to write long stories and not have a villain, but I need one to balance the heroics of Superman (and Lois and Clark).

Secondly, I could have used an original character as the villain. The reason I chose not to was that I didn't want to spend the time/words introducing him/her. This is a story about Lois and Clark. Sure, there will be sub-plots involving other characters, but I try to minimise that. Also, with the story already including so much non-LnC (football), I wanted to use as many familiar characters as possible.

Mayson is certainly clueless about what motivates Superman - but she's had very little chance to get to know him. Until now, he's stayed distant with everyone.

Hooking up with Luthor is a long-shot, but remember she's tried for two years to get Clark and nothing has worked. This is the act of a desperate woman.

I certainly acknowledge that I've extrapolated Mayson's character and turned her evil. However, if I'd left her as the somewhat bland version we know from canon, the question would have to be asked why Clark had no interest in her. Early in the fic, some readers were noting that there were similarities between Mayson here and canon Lois. I had to make Mayson significantly different to the Lois we know - and I needed an evil villain - hence Mayson as I've written her.

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I'm glad you're still reading and enjoying the fic despite struggling with Mayson's evilness.

DW Bringing Clark home early mostly just sped up the story. He was going to have to leave Lois anyway. Thanks for your comments.

Elizabeth Welcome back!

I agree with what you say about balance. I don't think I could write a story of this length without any difficulties for LnC. Thanks, Elizabeth.

Framework

It will be a great way to move Lois to Metropolis. She will go undercover in Metropolis and the first anyone will know of her arrival will be the Lane & Kent series on the Fall of the house of Luthor.
The problem I see with that is how to explain her absence from Melbourne. Her workmates and friends are going to notice if she suddenly disappears. I don't think either Lois or Clark would be willing to allow them to worry unnecessarily.

Thanks.

Lovesuper Consider it just another challenge for them!

Michael

And like all good narrators you're waiting with the heaping of foul matter until the waffiest possible moment. Just to prove a point and make them suffer. Bad girl.
Guilty, as charged!

Evelyn I think the essence of fanfic is to take canon and apply 'what ifs'. (Without the 'what ifs', we just have canon.) What if, with no Lois, Mayson can see no reason why Clark wouldn't want to be with her? What if never accepting 'no' (and using her skills in manipulation) has brought her great success as an investigative reporter ? What if she truly believes she should be able to have anything she wants?

What if, when denied, she gets nasty?

Thanks, Evelyn.

Corrina.