I did briefly try the PBS version of SH, but I had a hard time with the anachronism. To me, an occasional piece of comedy or fantasy aside, SH belongs in Victorian and, to a lesser extent, Edwardian England. I have no problem with him visiting other eras *as the plot demands*, but I saw no reason for the PBS show's change in time other than trying to make him more accessible to modern audiences -- which, frankly, I find an insult to my intelligence.
Is the PBS version the BBC version starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes? If so, then I'm exactly the opposite, it has to be said and I suspect you're right, Lynn, that the series was designed not for the diehard SH fan but for those who were never interested in Holmes before.

I was firmly in that category - never read the books, never watched any of the movies - but for some reason watched the pilot of Sherlock and absolutely loved it. I probably wouldn't have if it hadn't been reset into a contempory setting, although the main attraction for me was the chemistry between the two leads. But the setting was definitely there in the mix as part of the draw.

Sorry...gone OT there. <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers