Ann, I'm sorry I didn't reply to your review with everyone else's, but I just felt like replying to it on its own.

I don't really know what to say. I'm reading through it again and again, just enjoying what you've said.

I feel very, very, very honored that you'd consider "Darkest Dreams" to be an acception to your general rule about stabbing Clark for keeping his secret. You portrayed the idea of his lack of flight better than I could.

But in your story, Rachel... well, in your story, Clark just isn't Superman. Not in any way at all. Not physically, really, and absolutely, certainly not mentally. How perfectly, ironically fitting it is that that the one power of his that has definitely not returned is his ability to fly. Because what is it, after all, that makes Superman fly? I'm reminded of Mary Poppins, the Mary Poppins that was there before she was disneyfied, who flew because of the influence of "laugh gas" (don't ask me what it was called in English). Mary Poppins flew, as it were, on invisible wings of joy. And Superman, too, the Superman who flew, was boyed by the power of happiness
<wipes a tear away>

This Superman - this happy Superman, this determined Superman, this Superman who believed - in himself, in the world, in his own ability to be there for the world and make it a better place - this Superman could fly. But this Superman is no more
Which is the true tragedy of the whole thing. Thank you so much for pointing this out!

Being essentially a Lois fan, I'm so moved at times by this Lois
She certainly still has her problems--both Lois *and* Clark do--but I have tried to make their problems as both understandable, pitiable, able to be sympathized with. I'm glad you've been able to feel that connection!

How can I ask Clark to tell Lois that he is Superman? I can't, because he isn't. I want Clark to tell the truth, don't I? Well, the truth is that Clark is no longer Superman.
Which is one of the main reasons Clark's having trouble telling her right now. I think he himself has recognized that the essence of Superman has been shattered--the mask has been shredded, and he doesn't know what to do in order to put it back together. Though he's going to be trying to rebuild, it's going to take some time.

She isn't asking Superman to be perfect and flawless, so she should be able to accept that right now the man who used to be Superman can't be the hero any more - but he might be a hero again, if only she will stand by him. Ah, but I wish she wouldn't be so thoroughly contemptuous of Clark Kent!!!
"Bipolar wet cat" Lois Lane certainly needs open her eyes. Both she and Clark need each other now more than ever.

This is a totally fascinating story, Rachel.
blush I'm glad it's making you think, Ann. Thank you so much for your feedback and thoughts. I really, really appreciate it, and it certainly helps add to my own creative juices!

SmirkyRaven