See Clark.

See Clark weep.

See Clark believe he's now completely useless.

See Clark lose his emotional bearings and his sense of self.

See Clark melt into a puddle of goo.

Clark cannot tell Lois that he's Superman. Not while he's in this state. Right now, he believes that he's lost his purpose in life, that he's betrayed all of humanity, that he's let down everyone who ever thought highly of him. His sense of self has been wrapped up in his Superman identity, and now that he thinks that's gone, he doesn't believe that his life has any purpose. He no longer believes that he has any real reason to exist.

This is not a man who can shatter the illusions of the woman he loves. This is not a man who can stand in front of Lois and say, "Look, I am Superman. I am someone. I love you. Please love me." At his point, he doesn't even think he can offer unconditional friendship.

And he's stuttering again. He's still deeply affected by all the things he's gone through recently - the captivity, nearly dying himself, losing his powers, his father's death, and Lois's almost insane focus on finding Superman and on defending him both to and from the world. He doesn't have the wherewithal to declare his love to Lois, nor does he have the right to tell her that he's Superman. And since he still can't fly, I'm not sure she'd believe him anyway.

When the rest of his powers finally return, will he be tempted to stop being Clark? Will he find his identity in being the costumed superhero, or will he dig deep enough within himself to hook onto the anchor that Clark needs to become himself again?

It's going to be interesting to find out.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing