Hi Evie!

She took a small step closer. “Ever consider going under cover as a reporter?” she asked.
shock laugh

He could never say ‘yes,’ of course. But even as she asked it, she was absolutely sure he wouldn’t say ‘no.’

He hesitated before replying quietly, “It’s tempting.”
laugh

“Her?” Henderson asked.

“Yes,”
Yes. You see, women can be criminals, too, now. It’s already the 1990s.

Henderson jumped in then, “Lois hasn’t mentioned that she’s been the unofficial Luthor Corp clean-up crew these last few months?”
Oops?
LOIS: A girl needs a hobby.

Superman’s eyebrows jumped to his hairline. “What?!”

“Bill!” she protested.
laugh

one Luthor lackey or another is wracking up felonies
/Psst/ I believe you mean ‘racking up’?

“We’re getting pretty used to it, too. She’s saving my guys a lot of field work.”
shock

Henderson looked like he was really having fun with this. At her expense!
We are, too!

The return of her favorite precinct sparring partner evoked a sense of normalcy that she hadn’t felt since — Well, that she hadn’t felt in months. She’d have to bring Superman along more often on visits to Henderson.
Can we make a doll out of her?
LEX: I could have her covered in a thin layer of epoxy resin?

“That’s dangerous,” Superman said to her disapprovingly, breaking into her thoughts.

Or not, she immediately recanted.
rotflol frying pan and fire situation?

“I’m not going after Luthor, obviously. I’m going after his secretaries,” she said archly.
shock lol

“The Planet expects copies of that roll of film, Bill!” she shouted to the Detective’s retreating back. When he didn’t reply, she shouted, “Bill! I have deadline!”
laugh
Also, did you miss the ‘a’ before ‘deadline’ or is this intentional?

“Why are you going after the House of Luthor?”
/Must not quote Arya Stark/

“We were only paired up for a coupla’ months,” he said gruffly. “Then I moved over to narcotics.”

“When?” she heard her voice ask.

He looked at her steadily. “About 5 months ago.”
Lois drove him off?

She hadn’t realized that he’d been leaning over her shoulder to look along with her. Couldn’t he see this from a city block away?
Habit.

“Mercy Graves?”
/Cocks eyebrow/

Woolf settled more heavily into the door frame, eyes cast down. “One of the witnesses had been there with the guy. She was sobbing when the uniforms questioned her.
Ummm…he might have missed something?

“I was sorry for your loss, Ms. Lane,” he said.
Oh. Ah. I see.

She couldn’t help that her thoughts flashed over to the red dress that she couldn’t bring herself to throw away but couldn’t bear to look at.
Never noticed the lack of blood, did she?

That night she had gently, carefully wrapped it, and stuffed it far out of sight beneath her bed
Wonderful juxtaposition!

“Can I do anything for you?”

She shook her head mutely.

“Would chocolate help?” he asked.

She shook her head again.

“Even chocolate from Switzerland?”
Cute!

She quirked her mouth in a failed smile. She’d already tried chocolate to solve this problem. It tasted like ash every time.
sad

But if he really wanted to help… “I don’t suppose you can race around the earth so fast that you could turn back time?”

“No,” he said sadly. “Time isn’t always exactly linear, but I’m afraid it doesn’t work that way.”

She took that in. “Then, no.”
/waits for time machine/

She cut him off. “You’re a crime-fighter, right? Well, you didn’t do what a cop would do to fight the crime. You did what a reporter would do,” she said accusingly.
laugh

“How do you always know where I am when I’m in trouble? You always know exactly where to go to save me. How?”

“You usually call for help,” he said weakly.

It was the correct answer.
So adorable!

“Yes,” he said. “I would forgive you.” His arms tightened around her almost imperceptibly. She felt it. “Will you forgive me?”

Her heart raced. “I think so.”

“Ask me, then,” he said.
/Looks around at all the china standing around everywhere/

“Clark?”

“Is that your question?”

“Yes,” she said, holding back a sob, existing on a hope.

“Yes,” he said simply.
Awwwwww

“You could have told me,” she said seriously.
jawdrop

Her hero wasn’t off the hook, not by any stretch, she acknowledged to herself. And Swiss chocolate wasn’t even going to make a dent in this one.
laugh
SUPERMAN: So, that’s a no on the chocolate?
LOIS: Now, let’s not be hasty.

She had, in fact, learned caution this year. Right now, that caution was telling her not to explode. It was telling her that forever letting her temper take the reins wasn’t a sustainable means for a relationship. And it was telling her that her partner might have been lost in agony, too.
Awwww

So instead of six rounds of ‘who was right,’ and a week of the silent treatment, maybe, just maybe, starting tonight, they could just be happy. Together. Maybe it could be simple.
Awwwwww

But I just can’t. Clark Kent is dead.”

“That’s what the page eight story is for,” she replied,
/cocks eyebrow/

“We’ll come up with something.”

And that’s exactly what they did.

THE END
That was a beautiful story and a great ending. The actual resurrection has been done numerous times and it’s a detail, nothing more, for this story smile1 And to me, the that final lines are so poignant. It just fits in this fandom smile1 Also, I've been guilty of the tidy-bow-implied / oops-let's-leave-things-messy option my self, so I can perfectly sympathize.

So great that you have delurked!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.