Chapter 10: The Final FDK

First of all, I just want to say how much I've thoroughly enjoyed this story. It's been a great read, very fun, and you have such a knack for writing "episodic" style stories like this. Very impressive! Cat has been a delightful reintroduction into this, and very nicely woven into the fabric of this timeline. Excellent job, Val!

On to the details...

"I’m not going to ask again, Ms. Grant, did you know your cousin was in cohorts with known members of Intergang?" Detective Wolfe's tone was harsh as he continued with the questions.

"Intergang?" Cat's voice echoed from the other side of the room. "No, Sam would never..."
Did she really not know? Sam either played her really well or she's covering really well.

"There's a bomb, dad! Get out now!" Jerry's voice echoed through the room and Clark immediately went into action, scanning the floor for any sign of an explosive device in the building. He moved at super-speed, flying through the newsroom, trying to find any clue.
shock Didn't see that coming.

"I didn't know it was Kryptonite until this morning, honest!" Cat insisted as Clark approached.

"Kryptonite?" Clark looked at her in surprise.

"Yes, fine! I'm the bad guy. I get something sent to me with a cryptic note and I must be behind something nefarious, right? Meanwhile, Lois Lane has a bomb sent to her and no one bats an eye."
laugh Yeah, I suppose that's not a bad line of questioning. lol Although Lois wouldn't reasonably send a bomb to herself... unless she was an evil mastermind... hmmmmm... No, no. She wouldn't do that... probably.

*side eyes the AntiVerse and shelves an idea or two*

Cat turned to Clark, "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be elbow deep into trouble with your wife by now?"

Nah. Hip deep, maybe. peep

"On a weekly basis, it seems." Cat cut in with a roll of her eyes. Clark shot her a glare and she shrugged, "I'm right and you know it, Clark."
Oooh, catty. More so than usual, and directed at Clark. This should be fun. But she's not wrong.

“Are you kidding me?” Clark scoffed, doing his best to contain his anger, “It has everything to do with it. I’m not an idiot, Cat. I know what you did to Lois and…”
I love Clark when he's just spoiling for a fight.

“I’ve never been more disappointed in anyone in all my life,” Clark muttered, turning away. He saw the uncertain expression on her face before making his way out of the room.

Ouch! That stings, CK.

“Clark, hold on!” Perry called behind him. “Let him go!”

"Kent, easy there…" Wolfe approached him from behind. "If I were you, Dunning I wouldn’t do anything to rile Kent here up any further.
*whispers* Psst! Clark! Your Superman face is showing...

Dr. Friedman is a very close personal friend of mine. She doesn't normally do shop talk about her high-profile surgeries but well in this one instance she just couldn't help herself. I mean it was a one of a kind case. She'd never seen anything so tiny in all her....
clap Perfect!

Cat shrugged, “I have my own style of interrogation. Now, how about we call a truce? Take a look at this tape and figure out who took Lois. As much as a pain in the rear she is to me I don’t want to see anything happen to her.”

Awwww. Sweet side of Cat. And I might add, that's probably one of the first times I've seen a different style of interrogation from Cat beyond the predatorial, half-dressed, man-eater style.

"I see you've taken over right where your husband and step-son left off. Kidnapping a hobby or are you doing it full-time now?" Lois asked, tightening her arms over her chest.

*snort* Love it.

“Cat may not have been behind the murders but I still think she’s been up to something.” Lois said with a shrug.
lol Only a little begrudging there, Lois.

“No, but how exactly do you plan on confronting her on it?” Clark asked. “She admitted to having red kryptonite. She never said what she used it for but given what happened earlier I think we both know how it was used.”

“So we can’t call her out without giving away your secret,” Lois realized, shaking her head. “I hate this.”
rotflol Great plan for Cat, actually! Their hands are tied.

“You can’t do it, can you?” He grinned at her.

“What?” she asked.

“Admit you were wrong,” He grinned.

“Yes I can.”

“Then say it.” He grinned back at her.

“I…” She pursed her lips into a pout, “You’re enjoying this way too much.”

“I don’t hear the words, ‘Clark you were right’ in there at all.” He teased.
This interaction was so sweet and perfectly them. Loved it!

Cat crossed her arms, staring back at them, “I was trying to prove something…that I’ve come to realize doesn’t matter at all. I’m sorry.”
Aww. She's got her priorities back in order. See Lois? She's not bad, she's just dressed that way.

With that Cat left, leaving Lois and Clark reeling from the news. “What do you think that was all about?” Lois finally asked.

“I don’t know,” Clark shook his head, “But does it really matter?”
Wait, are they really not going to figure out that Cat kinda knows the secret? Do I need to demand a brief sequel where Cat casually admits to knowing Clark is Superman, and he and Lois looking all deer-in-the-headlights?

It had come out in Jimmy’s research that the name Bruno Mannheim was used to cover a hit by Intergang.
Glad you went back for this! It was a fun little name drop, whether or not the person was real. laugh

clap Again, great story! Very much enjoyed it! Would love to see more adventures of any supporting characters kinda-knowing that Clark is Superman. Well done!

wave

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain