Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: folc4evernaday FDK: Testing a Theory - 08/24/17 08:45 PM
So remember when I said I wouldn't work on more than one fic at a time? Yeah, my muse had other ideas...

peep

Hang on, it's gonna be a bumpy ride. Set right after SLV in Season 4.
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 08/24/17 08:59 PM
Hmmm fascinating premise! Cat is back and the Daily Planet's got her.

I have to finish your other story, but than it's onto this one! My fingers need a break from typing and knitting.
Posted By: CarrieRene Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 08/24/17 10:11 PM
Looking forward to more. Can't believe we have Samantha related to Cat. Married Lois around Cat is going to be very interesting.
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 08/25/17 11:10 PM
This looks like it's going to be a fun ride, folc4. Can't wait to see what happens when Cat tests her theory and Lois finds out she's doing it.

Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 08/26/17 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
This looks like it's going to be a fun ride, folc4. Can't wait to see what happens when Cat tests her theory and Lois finds out she's doing it.

Hi Terry!

I plan to have soooo much fun with this one. The drama in this one will be minimal(for me) as the comedy comes out quite a bit. Imagine all the funny ways Cat Grant can test her theory.... rotflol clap

Originally Posted by CarrieRene
Looking forward to more. Can't believe we have Samantha related to Cat. Married Lois around Cat is going to be very interesting.

Haha yeah the claws will come out and the comedy will ensue...

Originally Posted by Morgana
Hmmm fascinating premise! Cat is back and the Daily Planet's got her.

I have to finish your other story, but than it's onto this one! My fingers need a break from typing and knitting.

haha glad I was able to capture your attention Morgana.
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 08/27/17 12:14 AM
OOOH! Two at the same time! clap I'm getting excited! I can't wait to see what Cat's going to do with this information! Is she going to out them? Is she going to go after Clark again romantically to get some answers? I don't anticipate a much darker turn from Cat knowing Superman's identity, but I was recently surprised by a dark turn from Star... so... huh

Can't wait for more!
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 08/27/17 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Mouserocks
OOOH! Two at the same time! clap I'm getting excited! I can't wait to see what Cat's going to do with this information! Is she going to out them? Is she going to go after Clark again romantically to get some answers? I don't anticipate a much darker turn from Cat knowing Superman's identity, but I was recently surprised by a dark turn from Star... so... huh

Can't wait for more!

Ummm....actually it's THREE. peep I'm working on the sequel to "Guy Rule Number One" too.... dizzy I'll be posting that one later this week. I keep saying my muse is abusing me.... huh evil

I don't plan on going dark with this one. Very FUNNY but not dark.
Posted By: BJ Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 09/02/17 01:40 PM
I like it. Setting it after the scandal makes Lois's response to Cat make sense. Any other time and she would have been feeling so confident in her relationship with Clark that she could have seen Cat's arrival with less hostility. She had Clark, after all, something that Cat tried and failed to achieve.

Can't wait to read more.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 09/05/17 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by BJ
I like it. Setting it after the scandal makes Lois's response to Cat make sense. Any other time and she would have been feeling so confident in her relationship with Clark that she could have seen Cat's arrival with less hostility. She had Clark, after all, something that Cat tried and failed to achieve.

Can't wait to read more.

Hi BJ,

Yes Lois' hostility comes from her insecurity after being under a microscope the last few weeks with the press. She's confident in her relationship with Clark she's just struggling with her own insecurities after SLV.

Chapter One is up. This has some drama in it but it's going to be a lot of humor in it too. Setting the tone.
Posted By: CarrieRene Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 09/06/17 01:05 AM
I think I have an idea who the woman at the end was. Bill Junior is still in control, intriguing! And, the vultures are still after Lois.

Love this so much.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 09/22/17 01:24 PM
I think I have an idea who the woman at the end was. Bill Junior is still in control, intriguing! And, the vultures are still after Lois.

Love this so much.

Yes, paparazzis are still after Lois and Clark.

I'll have the next chapter up in a few. No hints at who the woman is yet. Sorry.
Posted By: CarrieRene Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 09/22/17 11:28 PM
I'm so glad Clark heard Lois about the pencils. He needs to bring a box here because we are always losing the #2 pencils. Haha, Lois came up with a better excuse than Clark ever could though (return a video).
Posted By: mrsMxyzptlk Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 01/18/18 09:01 PM
Fun story! I like the interaction between Lois and Cat. The whole dynamic between them has changed since Cat left. Lois isn't the frumpy, can't-get-a-man-to-save-her-life spinster anymore that Cat seemed to think she was.

(It occurs to me that my hyphenated adjective there has two meanings, both of which more or less apply. wink )

And, perhaps more importantly, Lois doesn't feel like a frumpy spinster anymore. She's got much more confidence in that department since she got together with Clark.

I'm assuming the unnamed blonde is Mindy Church, especially considering Bill, Jr.'s involvement.

Lois was awfully flustered by Cat when Clark left. She should have said something like Clark had a meeting to get to, and he took the stairs for exercise. She should blow it off, like, "Oh, Clark frequently takes the stairs when he's alone. That's how he stays in shape." That way, he's got a plausible excuse forever. Lois totally blowing it makes sense, though, given how stressed out she is and how annoyed at Cat she is.

Lois and Clark really need to sit down and come up with standard, reusable explanations for his disappearances and odd behavior. But that's more a commentary on the show and Superman in general than your story in particular.
Posted By: CarrieRene Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 01/19/18 10:13 PM
I am glad this is back. Now Jerry is in the mix, oh boy, Cat and Jerry, that can't be good.
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 01/20/18 08:09 PM
I am glad this is back. Now Jerry is in the mix, oh boy, Cat and Jerry, that can't be good.

Me too! I missed this one but my muse had other ideas huh

Hoping to get this one on a similar schedule as the others. We'll see...

Yes, Jerry is back and Cat is still digging. What will happen next? You'll have to wait and see. thumbsup
Posted By: CarrieRene Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 01/26/18 08:43 PM
Coffee and wax. Cat cannot catch a break yet when Lois was ready to apologize Samantha gets hurt. Cat cannot catch a break.
Posted By: Endelda Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 01/28/18 06:57 PM
Oh horrors, Cat's trying to destroy Lois' life and Lois is being nice to her?! And poor Clark, has she even taken a second to think about what this will do to him if she succeeds? smile1
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 07/04/18 09:11 PM
“Nell Newtrich.” The woman began slowly, “She has something that doesn’t belong to her, and I want it back.”

“What kind of thing?” Samantha stammered.

“A rock.” The woman said smugly. “A very special rock. It glows….red. I want it back. Get it for me and freedom is yours.”
Oooh! I knew it had to be coming, but I'm oh-so-excited that it is. And it's only chapter 2!

Clark Kent was Superman, and she was going to prove it.
Uh-oh! Cat Grant is out for blood... or news ink actually. Wonder if she'll actually find proof, and if so, if she'll actually go through with printing it. On the one hand, I don't think Cat's that diabolical, but on the other, if she's trying to free her cousin from jail, she might be capable of doing it.

On to chapter 3!
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 07/04/18 09:29 PM
Chapter 3

“Dad, it’s fine.” Jerry placed a hand on his wrist. “Things are different this time.”
Ooh, interesting! I wonder what role Jerry will play in all this.

“Get in,” He looked over his shoulder, tugging on his tie. “I’ll meet you back at the Planet. I think it’s time Superman had a little chat with ‘In-Your-Face-Barry-Dunning’ about the laws on harassment.”

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” Lois began to interject but he had already disappeared in a blur of red and blue. “Great.”
lol It is great. Right after Lucy told her to lay low for the exact same thing, too. Perfect.

After what seemed like an eternity Superman finally spoke. “The act of systematic and continuous unwanted actions of one party or a group, including but not limited to threats and demands and making someone fearful or anxious.”

rotflol He *actually* taught him the laws on harassment? clap Oh, Clark, you little nerd. That's adorable.

“Can you believe that guy?”

“Yeah,” Dunning said uneasily, trying to shake off the sense of dread that had washed over him.

Lol, he'd better believe him. Otherwise he might become a charred pile of ash on the sidewalk. angel-devil

“Yeah, well, I guess they fixed the squeaky wheel when they replaced the elevator. You know, after the Planet got blown up and you abandoned everyone?”

You know, I never really thought about that. Cat's timing with leaving the show actually was really bad, as far as burning bridges goes. There's never been any love lost between Cat and Lois, but that's definitely going to put a strain on their relationship going forward. Very well thought out.

“Dad?” Cat’s brow furrowed.

Lois allowed a broad grin to spread across her face. “Cat this is Jerry White—Perry’s son.”
Haha! Perfect! lol
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 07/04/18 09:40 PM
Chapter 4:

"Excuse me," Clark pushed behind them to grab two coffee mugs and began pouring. Cat looked down at her coffee mug.

'That's it.' Cat thought. Watching as he reached for the pot of coffee. Just a gentle shove. That's all it would take. If he didn't get burned that would prove her theory.
Hahaha, diabolical. With a lowercase d. laugh The shooting up Clark thing would be Diabolical.

"Nah, really!" Ralph scoffed. "Save it Kansas. I got this." He turned and opened the fridge, pulling out the spreadable butter.

"I wouldn't do that." Clark shook his head.
rotflol Ralph being a dummy as usual. Clark even warned him!

Clark bent down, putting his finger to it and feeling it with his index finger and thumb. "Feels waxy. Like wax and shine maybe."
Uh-oh, methinks this was Cat again. Strike number two.

That had not gone according to plan at all.
Haha! Called it.

Cat looked back at her dumbfounded. Was Lois Lane seriously trying to apologize to her? She felt the shock begin to come over her as she did her best to remain calm. This was good. This was too good.
Aww, Lois is trying to be nice! Clark really has changed her. goofy

"I...I need to go. I've got a family member that's been...hurt." She managed to say.

"Okay," Lois took the keys from her. "I'll drive."

clap Yay! Lois being nice to Cat and Cat not sure what to do with this Lois has me lol This is adorable, and I hope it helps bring Cat around on her whole outting-Clark-thing.

On to 5!
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 07/04/18 09:57 PM
Chapter 5:

Testing A Theory
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 6
*whispers* Psst! Val! Might wanna change that 6 to a five. I got lost for half a second. goofy

Cat Grant was visiting Samantha Grady. The woman who had faked the photograph of her and Clark to create the scandal that had almost cost them everything [...]The more she thought about it the angrier she got. Cat’s sudden reappearance made so much more sense.
Yup! There's Mad Dog Lane!

“We’ve met but I don’t think you’d remember.” She smiled back at her. “I was working an exhibit at the Daily Planet a few years ago. Sampling some….”

“Perfume.” Cat finished for her, recalling the connection. “Miranda.”
Oooh! Miranda?! smile1

“All that labor and it never worked on the one it was intended to,” Miranda grumbled.

“Who?” Cat inquired, watching Miranda shove another trash bag into the large bag in her cart.

“Why Metropolis’ Golden Boy—Lex. Who do you think?” Miranda scoffed. “Labor of love and I’m looking at twenty to life. Fair? I think not.”

rotflol "labor of love"

“Thanks, Hank,” Cat said, running her index finger down his chest seductively, “I just don’t know what I’ll do if I can’t find that perfume bottle. It was my grandmother’s.”

laugh Cat's still got it! lol and now she has Revenge! I wonder what she'll do next...

On to chapter 6!
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 07/04/18 10:53 PM
Chapter 6:

“I need to have Jimmy run a background check on her,” Lois stated firmly.

“You’re not running a background check on Cat,” Clark interjected.
Clark is playing Lois' conscience, as usual. laugh What a good guy.

Cat grinned to herself, recalling the conversation she’d overheard after the story had been filed. Lois had begrudgingly admitted to having a microscopic attraction to him. How times had changed. It was lucky they both hadn’t been ….
Bingo!

‘Are you really going to drug him just to help Sam?’

‘He was a good friend.’

‘Is it really worth it?’
*sings off-key* And always let your conscience be your guide!

Valid points, though, Cat.

Jimmy sat at his desk, writing down the name and information as Lois rambled off the list of information she wanted on ‘Samantha Grady.’ He recognized the name immediately but didn’t say anything. After Superman’s press conference Lois had been extra skittish and more self-conscious. He wasn’t sure if it was from having her and Clark’s private life dissected by the media or if there was more going on than met the eye but he knew better than to pry.
Jimmy is such a good friend to them and rarely gets such credit. Kudos.

“Mr. McCoy,” The sweet voice from one of the most deadly women in Metropolis called out to him and he turned to face her.
laugh Great contrast for Mindy, wonderful description.

He pointed to the transcript. “Bruno Mannheim.”
*screeching halt* WHaT?! Bruno Mannheim? Bruno Mannheim?!
/side eyes the author, no longer sure where this story is headed in the next four chapters/

She’d always felt on uneven ground when it came to Lois Lane.
This whole introspective paragraph of Cat's is beautifully done. Very sad that she felt the need to compete so, both of them really. But very well done.

She couldn’t do it. She had thought about it and come close but when it came down to it she couldn’t justify drugging Clark for the sake of proving her theory. Even if he was lying to everyone and Lois was helping him he had been her friend. He had seen past the flashy clothes and seen the real Cat—even when she couldn’t. Stooping to that level seemed extreme.
Aww, Cat being a softy.

He’d been told his cellmate was someone they thought to be important to the Intergang organization. That idea baffled him. The man hardly said anything and communicated in grunts and muffled snorts. He wasn’t sure how connected this Morgan was but he’d figure it out one way or another.
Morgan... as in Edge? Hmmmm. First Bruno, and now Morgan... What's going on around here?

“All I gotta do is spray the bottle when Superman comes down the hall. That’s it?” The red-haired boy asked skeptically.

“That’s it.” She grinned back at him.
lol I gotta say, I love the way Cat's mind works.

Another great chapter! I hope at the end of the Lois and Cat are able to resolve some of their issues at least, and I secretly hope Cat discovers the secret, but doesn't out Clark for it. We'll have to wait and see... later, unfortunately. Gotta go spend *some* time not staring at a computer screen, apparently.

Be back for chapter 7 later tonight hopefully!
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 07/06/18 05:01 PM
Chapter 7:

The familiar figure standing by her Jeep caught her eye. “Finished already?” She asked before scrunching up her nose, catching a whiff from his suit. “What is that?”

“Sorry,” Clark apologized, “I’ve tried just about everything and can’t seem to get the smell out of the suit. I changed, but the smell is still lingering.”

“Have you tried burning it?” Lois asked, half-joking as she unlocked the Jeep.
lol I love that Lois is only half-joking about burning the Suit.

He let out a light laugh, disappearing into a blur of red and blue and then reappearing in another suit. His hair appeared damp, and the cologne he was wearing was stronger than the amount he usually wore, but the smell that lingered in the air had dissipated.

Did he have time to go home and shower in that timeframe? shock

“Lois?” The temperature had dropped at least ten degrees in the last half hour, and he could see his breath as he called her name. She continued to pace in front of the car, seemingly unaffected by the cold and her lack of jacket in the bitter cold.

She's too darn hot and bothered, Clark! Just let her... um... ride it out. angel-devil

Everything became a blur as he lost himself in her arms.
Bowchickawowwow! Also, there was a split second where I thought you might have a police officer interrupt them making love on the side of the road, but I guess that would have been too cruel. lol

“No, I don’t know.” She shook her head. “Right now, all I can focus on is the pain in my head and…” She groaned, feeling another urge to empty her stomach. She was oblivious to the shocked expression on her husband’s face.
rotflol To be fair, he didn't *know* he was taking advantage... And she handed him the advantage on a silver platter...

Another great chapter! Hopefully I'll get more in tonight!
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 07/06/18 05:45 PM
Chapter 8:

Guilt washed over him as the gravity of what had happened hit him. How had he missed it?

How did I know Clark would be beating himself up for something as basic as *gasp* sleeping with his wife after she initiated sex? lol Oh Clark, you goody two shoes, you.

“And a few other things throughout the day,” she gave him a wicked grin.

rotflol Good! Wouldn't want to lose out on those memories there.

Neither Lois or Clark had returned to the office yesterday. No one had spotted Superman either until just after nine when he was seen patrolling Hobb’s Bay.

*spews coffee* Were they going at it for a whole day?! And Clark didn't think there was something going on with Lois? (Also, get it, girl!)

^reread that passage and my bad haha. You meant they didn't come back all day after going to the prison, as in, the same day. lol More realistic. Only slightly disappointing. laugh

In parenthesis, there was a note with a question mark, ‘Kryptonite element?’ Then the test results showed that the tested rock emitted an extremely high band radiation that was similar to that of Kryptonite. A note at the bottom read, ‘See Dr. Klein. Possible new Kryptonite element.’
I can't remember very well, but did Bernie not get a chance to test the red variation of Kryptonite? It disappeared, didn't it?

She stared at the bottle of perfume she’d used the day before and dropped a single chip of the meteorite inside.
I'm sensing "bowchickawowow: the sequel" is coming soon. Hehe. devil

“Look, I know it sounds far-fetched but just go with me on this. When did all of this start? The weird things going on at the office. The pranks. Then the dead bodies showing up left and right at the prison. It’s all connected!”

rotflol Lois, laying every crime ever committed at Cat Grant's feet.
LOIS: Remember Lex Luthor? Cat met him, too! I'm not saying, but I'm just saying, you know?

“You didn’t even know what I was going to ask!” Lois argued, glaring at Detective Wolfe in surprise.

“Whatever it is it can’t be good.” Wolfe retorted, pointing to the clock behind her. “My shift ends in half an hour, and I’m really not wanting to charge into a situation where Superman has to be called, and I’m stuck here doing paperwork for the next three hours.”
Well, he's got her number.

“You came in here promising a real quick favor every single time.” Wolfe pointed out.

“Fine, you made your point. We make your job so hard by making you look into crime.” Lois rolled her eyes at him.
lol Point, Lois.

“Hey!” Barry called out, “We were rolling!”

“Not anymore!” Clark spat out in an intimidating tone that mirrored the sternness he gave criminals as Superman.

“Easy, man!” Mike admonished as Clark threw him to the ground, turning his attention to Barry who was attempting to make a run for it.
Love this scene! Clark putting on his Superman face, having had it with Barry. clap Well done!

“What was that about his cameraman’s tape missing? I was very careful when I tossed him.” Clark shook his head.

“You were. I wasn’t.” Lois said, pulling the camera’s tape from her purse.

“You swiped it?” Clark chuckled.

She leaned in to kiss him and grinned, “Love you too.”
Hahahaha! Adorable. They're such a good team.

Cat opened her mouth to respond but stopped when she heard a sneeze from across the aisle. They both turned to see the papers flying across Clark’s desk in a whirlwind effect. Clark was not at his desk but the papers hung in the air for a moment as they ventured down from where they’d been blown.

rotflol clap That sneeze! So perfect, I'm dying!

“What’s wrong, Lois, Clark keeping you up all night?”
LOIS: Well, yes... but that's not what's wrong, that's what's so very right. drool

“Um, you left quite a…mess earlier,” Lois said, pulling her gaze away from him.

“I needed to get away in a hurry,” he said, running his hand down her shoulder and leaning in to whisper, “Why don’t we get out of here?”

“We have a staff meeting in…” she felt a tightness in her throat when she saw the look in his eyes once more. Before she could finish her statement, his lips captured hers. A hard jolt ran down her spine as her lips parted.
Oooh! This is going to be one fun staff meeting.

I'll have to get to the last two chapters later, but I'm loving it so far! Great job!
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 07/12/18 07:23 AM
Chapter 9:

She had removed his hand from her lap at least half a dozen times since they’d taken their seats in the corner of the room. She was doing her best to focus on taking notes but that was proving to be more difficult a task than usual with her husband deciding now would be a great time to be handsy.
Hello, Handsy Clark! Nice to see you... up and going. drool

“We need to get out of here,” Clark’s husky tone tickled her eardrums, and she bit her lower lip, feeling goosebumps rise up all over. Her eyes widened as his hand massaged her nylon covered thigh.
lol Yeah for real, before the staff gets an eyeful.

It was apparent the mixture of red kryptonite and pheromones had done the trick on Clark Kent. Now all she had to do was wait for Superman to go into action and make sure Lois Lane was around so she could prove once and for all that Clark Kent and Superman were one and the same.
clap Oh, goody! This should be fun.

Perry wore an amused expression as Lois crossed her arms over her chest. He wasn’t an idiot. She knew he was probably laughing on the inside at her weak attempts to pretend like her husband wasn’t trying to feel her up every two seconds.
Haha, busted!

Thankfully Perry remained silent on the very public and overly friendly behavior Clark was exhibiting.

rotflol I love this sentence so much. Overly friendly. lol

“In the meantime, just refrain from giving them anything. No need to give them anything to run with if you know what I mean.”

“That may be easier said than done,” Lois shot a glance toward Clark.

“Well, just do your best.” Perry sighed.
Horn-dog over there is definitely going to do his damndest to give them something to run with. lol Also, Perry's sigh is great, knowing that Clark's going to be more than a handful. evil

“You need to practice some of that oh, so lacking control and patience…You’re going to get both of us fired if you don’t quit it.”
CLARK: I was so very patient before marriage... I can't be held responsible for how impatient I am after.

He let out a sigh and moved his hands to her waist, wrapping his arms securely around her torso. “You’re not going to let this go, are you?”

“Nope,” Lois smiled, relieved to see a glimmer of some normalcy from her husband’s behavior.
*pouts* Everybody's going to think they went into the supply closet for some fun anyway... Why not follow through? If you do the time, do the crime. :devil-angel:

“I’m still fine,” he argued.
Mmmm-hmmmm! drool

“I just needed to get out of the office. I went for a flight around the block. No big deal,” he responded.
lol I thought maybe he sneezed so hard he went flying around the office like a balloon leaking helium.

Jimmy Olsen wore an amused expression as he did his best not to make eye contact with either Clark or Lois when he was called over to Lois’ desk. Lois’ disheveled appearance and Clark’s lopsided grin made it obvious what the two of them had been doing just moments ago…in the supply closet no less.

rotflol Haha, long gone are the days of Jimmy Interruptus. Jimmy's interrupted one too many times.

“Oh come on, since when do you turn down a flight with…?” Clark began to ask, and she reached over to silence him by grabbing ahold of the one part of him she knew wasn’t invulnerable.
rotflol rotflol rotflol clap

She stole a glance toward him, groaning when she saw he looked cool and collected.
What, she can dish it out but she can't take it? lol

‘Oh, no,’ Cat watched Jimmy hand, Lois Lane, the file that had fallen off of Clark Kent’s desk. She had completely forgotten to take it back. She watched in despair as Lois Lane’s behavior almost immediately changed once the file was in her hand.
Haha! Cat gets a little taste of karma.

"Uh, they had a lead to chase!" Cat shrugged, hoping her editor bought it.

"Uh-huh," Perry looked to the man with the clipboard
LOIS: Yeah! There was a mystery, in, uh, in the bedroom! More of a race really. An endurance race, very time sensitive.
PERRY: Same lead that you two found in the supply closet, I presume?

"Look out!"

She let out a muffled cry as a white cloth covered hand snaked around her, silencing her before a sound could be made. 'Chloroform' was the last thing that crossed her mind as she fell to the ground, darkness overtaking her instantly.
Uh-oh! Samantha escaped and Lois kidnapped? And only one chapter to go? How?! Oh boy. I'm so excited to see how this all ends. Hopefully I'll get through chapter ten soon. dance

Posted By: Mouserocks Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 07/12/18 08:12 AM
Chapter 10: The Final FDK

First of all, I just want to say how much I've thoroughly enjoyed this story. It's been a great read, very fun, and you have such a knack for writing "episodic" style stories like this. Very impressive! Cat has been a delightful reintroduction into this, and very nicely woven into the fabric of this timeline. Excellent job, Val!

On to the details...

"I’m not going to ask again, Ms. Grant, did you know your cousin was in cohorts with known members of Intergang?" Detective Wolfe's tone was harsh as he continued with the questions.

"Intergang?" Cat's voice echoed from the other side of the room. "No, Sam would never..."
Did she really not know? Sam either played her really well or she's covering really well.

"There's a bomb, dad! Get out now!" Jerry's voice echoed through the room and Clark immediately went into action, scanning the floor for any sign of an explosive device in the building. He moved at super-speed, flying through the newsroom, trying to find any clue.
shock Didn't see that coming.

"I didn't know it was Kryptonite until this morning, honest!" Cat insisted as Clark approached.

"Kryptonite?" Clark looked at her in surprise.

"Yes, fine! I'm the bad guy. I get something sent to me with a cryptic note and I must be behind something nefarious, right? Meanwhile, Lois Lane has a bomb sent to her and no one bats an eye."
laugh Yeah, I suppose that's not a bad line of questioning. lol Although Lois wouldn't reasonably send a bomb to herself... unless she was an evil mastermind... hmmmmm... No, no. She wouldn't do that... probably.

*side eyes the AntiVerse and shelves an idea or two*

Cat turned to Clark, "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be elbow deep into trouble with your wife by now?"

Nah. Hip deep, maybe. peep

"On a weekly basis, it seems." Cat cut in with a roll of her eyes. Clark shot her a glare and she shrugged, "I'm right and you know it, Clark."
Oooh, catty. More so than usual, and directed at Clark. This should be fun. But she's not wrong.

“Are you kidding me?” Clark scoffed, doing his best to contain his anger, “It has everything to do with it. I’m not an idiot, Cat. I know what you did to Lois and…”
I love Clark when he's just spoiling for a fight.

“I’ve never been more disappointed in anyone in all my life,” Clark muttered, turning away. He saw the uncertain expression on her face before making his way out of the room.

Ouch! That stings, CK.

“Clark, hold on!” Perry called behind him. “Let him go!”

"Kent, easy there…" Wolfe approached him from behind. "If I were you, Dunning I wouldn’t do anything to rile Kent here up any further.
*whispers* Psst! Clark! Your Superman face is showing...

Dr. Friedman is a very close personal friend of mine. She doesn't normally do shop talk about her high-profile surgeries but well in this one instance she just couldn't help herself. I mean it was a one of a kind case. She'd never seen anything so tiny in all her....
clap Perfect!

Cat shrugged, “I have my own style of interrogation. Now, how about we call a truce? Take a look at this tape and figure out who took Lois. As much as a pain in the rear she is to me I don’t want to see anything happen to her.”

Awwww. Sweet side of Cat. And I might add, that's probably one of the first times I've seen a different style of interrogation from Cat beyond the predatorial, half-dressed, man-eater style.

"I see you've taken over right where your husband and step-son left off. Kidnapping a hobby or are you doing it full-time now?" Lois asked, tightening her arms over her chest.

*snort* Love it.

“Cat may not have been behind the murders but I still think she’s been up to something.” Lois said with a shrug.
lol Only a little begrudging there, Lois.

“No, but how exactly do you plan on confronting her on it?” Clark asked. “She admitted to having red kryptonite. She never said what she used it for but given what happened earlier I think we both know how it was used.”

“So we can’t call her out without giving away your secret,” Lois realized, shaking her head. “I hate this.”
rotflol Great plan for Cat, actually! Their hands are tied.

“You can’t do it, can you?” He grinned at her.

“What?” she asked.

“Admit you were wrong,” He grinned.

“Yes I can.”

“Then say it.” He grinned back at her.

“I…” She pursed her lips into a pout, “You’re enjoying this way too much.”

“I don’t hear the words, ‘Clark you were right’ in there at all.” He teased.
This interaction was so sweet and perfectly them. Loved it!

Cat crossed her arms, staring back at them, “I was trying to prove something…that I’ve come to realize doesn’t matter at all. I’m sorry.”
Aww. She's got her priorities back in order. See Lois? She's not bad, she's just dressed that way.

With that Cat left, leaving Lois and Clark reeling from the news. “What do you think that was all about?” Lois finally asked.

“I don’t know,” Clark shook his head, “But does it really matter?”
Wait, are they really not going to figure out that Cat kinda knows the secret? Do I need to demand a brief sequel where Cat casually admits to knowing Clark is Superman, and he and Lois looking all deer-in-the-headlights?

It had come out in Jimmy’s research that the name Bruno Mannheim was used to cover a hit by Intergang.
Glad you went back for this! It was a fun little name drop, whether or not the person was real. laugh

clap Again, great story! Very much enjoyed it! Would love to see more adventures of any supporting characters kinda-knowing that Clark is Superman. Well done!

wave
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 07/29/18 01:06 AM
Mouse I was laughing hysterically at all your comments. Here are the responses.

“Nell Newtrich.” The woman began slowly, “She has something that doesn’t belong to her, and I want it back.”

“What kind of thing?” Samantha stammered.

“A rock.” The woman said smugly. “A very special rock. It glows….red. I want it back. Get it for me and freedom is yours.”
Oooh! I knew it had to be coming, but I'm oh-so-excited that it is. And it's only chapter 2!

Yes, here come the villains!

Clark Kent was Superman, and she was going to prove it.
Uh-oh! Cat Grant is out for blood... or news ink actually. Wonder if she'll actually find proof, and if so, if she'll actually go through with printing it. On the one hand, I don't think Cat's that diabolical, but on the other, if she's trying to free her cousin from jail, she might be capable of doing it.

Only time will tell ...will she or won't she? That is the question.

“Dad, it’s fine.” Jerry placed a hand on his wrist. “Things are different this time.”
Ooh, interesting! I wonder what role Jerry will play in all this.

Yes, I played with the supporting cast in this one.

“Get in,” He looked over his shoulder, tugging on his tie. “I’ll meet you back at the Planet. I think it’s time Superman had a little chat with ‘In-Your-Face-Barry-Dunning’ about the laws on harassment.”

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” Lois began to interject but he had already disappeared in a blur of red and blue. “Great.”
lol It is great. Right after Lucy told her to lay low for the exact same thing, too. Perfect.

LOL! Yep, stay out of trouble, Lois.
Easier said than done.

After what seemed like an eternity Superman finally spoke. “The act of systematic and continuous unwanted actions of one party or a group, including but not limited to threats and demands and making someone fearful or anxious.”

rotflol He *actually* taught him the laws on harassment? clap Oh, Clark, you little nerd. That's adorable.

Of course he did! He's got photographic memory and can recite anything to meddling reporters so why not? I will recite the First Amendment so there is no confusion...

“Can you believe that guy?”

“Yeah,” Dunning said uneasily, trying to shake off the sense of dread that had washed over him.

Lol, he'd better believe him. Otherwise he might become a charred pile of ash on the sidewalk. angel-devil

He tried to warn him. Everyone said leave it alone but Barry just wouldn't listen...

“Yeah, well, I guess they fixed the squeaky wheel when they replaced the elevator. You know, after the Planet got blown up and you abandoned everyone?”

You know, I never really thought about that. Cat's timing with leaving the show actually was really bad, as far as burning bridges goes. There's never been any love lost between Cat and Lois, but that's definitely going to put a strain on their relationship going forward. Very well thought out.

Thanks Mouse! Yeah, I did a lot of research on that one to see when the last scene of the two of them together was so I could muster up some tension between the two of them. Lois felt alone in the whole Luthor fiasco with no Clark but given how their relationship changed to more of respect after Witness you have to wonder how Lois would have felt about being abandoned by Cat (even if it was just in her mind).

“Dad?” Cat’s brow furrowed.

Lois allowed a broad grin to spread across her face. “Cat this is Jerry White—Perry’s son.”
Haha! Perfect! lol

Yes, the hot guy you're flirting with is your boss' son. Still want to continue and take your chances?
Ummmm....

"Excuse me," Clark pushed behind them to grab two coffee mugs and began pouring. Cat looked down at her coffee mug.

'That's it.' Cat thought. Watching as he reached for the pot of coffee. Just a gentle shove. That's all it would take. If he didn't get burned that would prove her theory.
Hahaha, diabolical. With a lowercase d. laugh The shooting up Clark thing would be Diabolical.

LOL! Glad you enjoyed that inner battle and imagery of Cat's struggle.

"Nah, really!" Ralph scoffed. "Save it Kansas. I got this." He turned and opened the fridge, pulling out the spreadable butter.

"I wouldn't do that." Clark shook his head.
rotflol Ralph being a dummy as usual. Clark even warned him!

Yeah, Ralph's a dork and Clark's just trying to be a nice guy. Not his fault Ralph was in the way.

Clark bent down, putting his finger to it and feeling it with his index finger and thumb. "Feels waxy. Like wax and shine maybe."
Uh-oh, methinks this was Cat again. Strike number two.

You thinketh right Mouse!

That had not gone according to plan at all.
Haha! Called it.

Yes, you did!

Cat looked back at her dumbfounded. Was Lois Lane seriously trying to apologize to her? She felt the shock begin to come over her as she did her best to remain calm. This was good. This was too good.
Aww, Lois is trying to be nice! Clark really has changed her. goofy

Yes he has and Lois has grown as she's learned to deal with some of the harsher realities of life. Old rivalries are no longer as important as they used to be.

"I...I need to go. I've got a family member that's been...hurt." She managed to say.

"Okay," Lois took the keys from her. "I'll drive."

clap Yay! Lois being nice to Cat and Cat not sure what to do with this Lois has me lol This is adorable, and I hope it helps bring Cat around on her whole outting-Clark-thing.

It would be so easy for that to happen, wouldn't it? You have to know by now that it's not that easy with my fics, Mouse!

Testing A Theory
Folc4evernaday
Chapter 6
*whispers* Psst! Val! Might wanna change that 6 to a five. I got lost for half a second. goofy

Already fixed. See what happens when you get lost in writing and forget which chapter you're on?

Cat Grant was visiting Samantha Grady. The woman who had faked the photograph of her and Clark to create the scandal that had almost cost them everything [...]The more she thought about it the angrier she got. Cat’s sudden reappearance made so much more sense.
Yup! There's Mad Dog Lane!

Kitty Cat is in T-R-O-U-B-L-E! Unleash the blood hounds and the serpants.

“We’ve met but I don’t think you’d remember.” She smiled back at her. “I was working an exhibit at the Daily Planet a few years ago. Sampling some….”

“Perfume.” Cat finished for her, recalling the connection. “Miranda.”
Oooh! Miranda?! smile1

Yes, Miranda is a lot of fun!

“All that labor and it never worked on the one it was intended to,” Miranda grumbled.

“Who?” Cat inquired, watching Miranda shove another trash bag into the large bag in her cart.

“Why Metropolis’ Golden Boy—Lex. Who do you think?” Miranda scoffed. “Labor of love and I’m looking at twenty to life. Fair? I think not.”

rotflol "labor of love"

That's what she called it. Labor of Love

“Thanks, Hank,” Cat said, running her index finger down his chest seductively, “I just don’t know what I’ll do if I can’t find that perfume bottle. It was my grandmother’s.”

laugh Cat's still got it! lol and now she has Revenge! I wonder what she'll do next...

Cat is definitely not a creature of habit. Which way she'll turn is anyone's guess.

“I need to have Jimmy run a background check on her,” Lois stated firmly.

“You’re not running a background check on Cat,” Clark interjected.
Clark is playing Lois' conscience, as usual. laugh What a good guy.

Naive Clark. Suspicious Lois. Seem, familiar to everyone?

Cat grinned to herself, recalling the conversation she’d overheard after the story had been filed. Lois had begrudgingly admitted to having a microscopic attraction to him. How times had changed. It was lucky they both hadn’t been ….
Bingo!

Yes, Cat has a good memory and can put two and two together pretty fast.

‘Are you really going to drug him just to help Sam?’

‘He was a good friend.’

‘Is it really worth it?’
*sings off-key* And always let your conscience be your guide!

Valid points, though, Cat.

The inner struggle is real!

Jimmy sat at his desk, writing down the name and information as Lois rambled off the list of information she wanted on ‘Samantha Grady.’ He recognized the name immediately but didn’t say anything. After Superman’s press conference Lois had been extra skittish and more self-conscious. He wasn’t sure if it was from having her and Clark’s private life dissected by the media or if there was more going on than met the eye but he knew better than to pry.
Jimmy is such a good friend to them and rarely gets such credit. Kudos.

Yes, you can tell by his expressions in Seasons 3-4 he knows what's up. He's just quiet about it.

“Mr. McCoy,” The sweet voice from one of the most deadly women in Metropolis called out to him and he turned to face her.
laugh Great contrast for Mindy, wonderful description.

Thanks Mouse!

He pointed to the transcript. “Bruno Mannheim.”
*screeching halt* WHaT?! Bruno Mannheim? Bruno Mannheim?!
/side eyes the author, no longer sure where this story is headed in the next four chapters/

**snork** It's not what you think. I swear! I just couldn't resist using some recognizable characters. Good find Mouse! So far you're the only one to catch on.

She’d always felt on uneven ground when it came to Lois Lane.
This whole introspective paragraph of Cat's is beautifully done. Very sad that she felt the need to compete so, both of them really. But very well done.

Thanks, Mouse! Glad you're enjoying Cat's inner musings as she plots her revenge.

She couldn’t do it. She had thought about it and come close but when it came down to it she couldn’t justify drugging Clark for the sake of proving her theory. Even if he was lying to everyone and Lois was helping him he had been her friend. He had seen past the flashy clothes and seen the real Cat—even when she couldn’t. Stooping to that level seemed extreme.
Aww, Cat being a softy. [/qupte]

Until....

[quote]He’d been told his cellmate was someone they thought to be important to the Intergang organization. That idea baffled him. The man hardly said anything and communicated in grunts and muffled snorts. He wasn’t sure how connected this Morgan was but he’d figure it out one way or another.
Morgan... as in Edge? Hmmmm. First Bruno, and now Morgan... What's going on around here?

You are literally the ONLY one that got that reference. BRAVO!!!

“All I gotta do is spray the bottle when Superman comes down the hall. That’s it?” The red-haired boy asked skeptically.

“That’s it.” She grinned back at him.
lol I gotta say, I love the way Cat's mind works.

How do you drug Superman without any repercussions? Through the hands of an innocent child of course!

Another great chapter! I hope at the end of the Lois and Cat are able to resolve some of their issues at least, and I secretly hope Cat discovers the secret, but doesn't out Clark for it.

The familiar figure standing by her Jeep caught her eye. “Finished already?” She asked before scrunching up her nose, catching a whiff from his suit. “What is that?”

“Sorry,” Clark apologized, “I’ve tried just about everything and can’t seem to get the smell out of the suit. I changed, but the smell is still lingering.”

“Have you tried burning it?” Lois asked, half-joking as she unlocked the Jeep.
lol I love that Lois is only half-joking about burning the Suit.

Remember how bad it stunk when Miranda sprayed the newsroom? Imagine that on spandex. Pewww!

He let out a light laugh, disappearing into a blur of red and blue and then reappearing in another suit. His hair appeared damp, and the cologne he was wearing was stronger than the amount he usually wore, but the smell that lingered in the air had dissipated.

Did he have time to go home and shower in that timeframe? shock

He is Superman. wink

“Lois?” The temperature had dropped at least ten degrees in the last half hour, and he could see his breath as he called her name. She continued to pace in front of the car, seemingly unaffected by the cold and her lack of jacket in the bitter cold.

She's too darn hot and bothered, Clark! Just let her... um... ride it out. angel-devil

No pun intended or happy accident? lol

Everything became a blur as he lost himself in her arms.
Bowchickawowwow! Also, there was a split second where I thought you might have a police officer interrupt them making love on the side of the road, but I guess that would have been too cruel. lol

Thought about that but then I figured I'm being mean enough to them as it is and yeah that's my only excuse. But can you imagine:

Perry: What do you mean you and Kent got arrested?
L: Well....
CK: Just come get us please!
L: We have unfinished business!
Perry: A lead?
L: Ummm, sure! A really hot and....
Perry: Uh-huh
CK: Are you coming?
**whistles** I'm not touching that one with a ten-foot pole

“No, I don’t know.” She shook her head. “Right now, all I can focus on is the pain in my head and…” She groaned, feeling another urge to empty her stomach. She was oblivious to the shocked expression on her husband’s face.
rotflol To be fair, he didn't *know* he was taking advantage... And she handed him the advantage on a silver platter...

Yeah she did!

Guilt washed over him as the gravity of what had happened hit him. How had he missed it?

How did I know Clark would be beating himself up for something as basic as *gasp* sleeping with his wife after she initiated sex? lol Oh Clark, you goody two shoes, you.

Wellll....yeah, but if she wasn't herself she couldn't fully consent so there's that element I didn't want to completely ignore.

“And a few other things throughout the day,” she gave him a wicked grin.

rotflol Good! Wouldn't want to lose out on those memories there.

Nope! She remembers and approves so no harm no foul.

Neither Lois or Clark had returned to the office yesterday. No one had spotted Superman either until just after nine when he was seen patrolling Hobb’s Bay.

*spews coffee* Were they going at it for a whole day?! And Clark didn't think there was something going on with Lois? (Also, get it, girl!)

LOL! It was AFTERNOON when she got um...drugged. It wasn't all day. But yeahhhh....

^reread that passage and my bad haha. You meant they didn't come back all day after going to the prison, as in, the same day. lol More realistic. Only slightly disappointing. laugh

:rotfl:

In parenthesis, there was a note with a question mark, ‘Kryptonite element?’ Then the test results showed that the tested rock emitted an extremely high band radiation that was similar to that of Kryptonite. A note at the bottom read, ‘See Dr. Klein. Possible new Kryptonite element.’
I can't remember very well, but did Bernie not get a chance to test the red variation of Kryptonite? It disappeared, didn't it?

It wasn't really mentioned much. There was just the whole hypothesis of Clark's that maybe a little green counteracts the red. wink

She stared at the bottle of perfume she’d used the day before and dropped a single chip of the meteorite inside.
I'm sensing "bowchickawowow: the sequel" is coming soon. Hehe. devil

Yes, you would be correct!

“Look, I know it sounds far-fetched but just go with me on this. When did all of this start? The weird things going on at the office. The pranks. Then the dead bodies showing up left and right at the prison. It’s all connected!”

rotflol Lois, laying every crime ever committed at Cat Grant's feet.
LOIS: Remember Lex Luthor? Cat met him, too! I'm not saying, but I'm just saying, you know?

lol Yes, everything is Cat's fault. Area 51, Kryptonian Takeover! Lex Luthor! It all ties back to Cat!

“You didn’t even know what I was going to ask!” Lois argued, glaring at Detective Wolfe in surprise.

“Whatever it is it can’t be good.” Wolfe retorted, pointing to the clock behind her. “My shift ends in half an hour, and I’m really not wanting to charge into a situation where Superman has to be called, and I’m stuck here doing paperwork for the next three hours.”
Well, he's got her number.

LOL!

“You came in here promising a real quick favor every single time.” Wolfe pointed out.

“Fine, you made your point. We make your job so hard by making you look into crime.” Lois rolled her eyes at him.
lol Point, Lois.

haha! Yes, how dare we make you do your job, detective!

“Hey!” Barry called out, “We were rolling!”

“Not anymore!” Clark spat out in an intimidating tone that mirrored the sternness he gave criminals as Superman.

“Easy, man!” Mike admonished as Clark threw him to the ground, turning his attention to Barry who was attempting to make a run for it.
Love this scene! Clark putting on his Superman face, having had it with Barry. clap Well done!

Thanks! It took me a week to nail down all the way. Glad it came out so good.

“What was that about his cameraman’s tape missing? I was very careful when I tossed him.” Clark shook his head.

“You were. I wasn’t.” Lois said, pulling the camera’s tape from her purse.

“You swiped it?” Clark chuckled.

She leaned in to kiss him and grinned, “Love you too.”
Hahahaha! Adorable. They're such a good team.

Clark roughs him up and Lois does the swiping. Dream team!

Cat opened her mouth to respond but stopped when she heard a sneeze from across the aisle. They both turned to see the papers flying across Clark’s desk in a whirlwind effect. Clark was not at his desk but the papers hung in the air for a moment as they ventured down from where they’d been blown.

rotflol clap That sneeze! So perfect, I'm dying!

Whoops! Superman sneezed. Everyone take cover.

“What’s wrong, Lois, Clark keeping you up all night?”
LOIS: Well, yes... but that's not what's wrong, that's what's so very right. drool

That could have been a good comeback....Cat I get to do things you can only fantasize about doing.

“Um, you left quite a…mess earlier,” Lois said, pulling her gaze away from him.

“I needed to get away in a hurry,” he said, running his hand down her shoulder and leaning in to whisper, “Why don’t we get out of here?”

“We have a staff meeting in…” she felt a tightness in her throat when she saw the look in his eyes once more. Before she could finish her statement, his lips captured hers. A hard jolt ran down her spine as her lips parted.
Oooh! This is going to be one fun staff meeting.

You better believe it!

She had removed his hand from her lap at least half a dozen times since they’d taken their seats in the corner of the room. She was doing her best to focus on taking notes but that was proving to be more difficult a task than usual with her husband deciding now would be a great time to be handsy.
Hello, Handsy Clark! Nice to see you... up and going. drool

Handsy Clark meet Unable to Control Herself Lois! hahaha

“We need to get out of here,” Clark’s husky tone tickled her eardrums, and she bit her lower lip, feeling goosebumps rise up all over. Her eyes widened as his hand massaged her nylon covered thigh.
lol Yeah for real, before the staff gets an eyeful.

**snork**

It was apparent the mixture of red kryptonite and pheromones had done the trick on Clark Kent. Now all she had to do was wait for Superman to go into action and make sure Lois Lane was around so she could prove once and for all that Clark Kent and Superman were one and the same.
clap Oh, goody! This should be fun.

Handsy Superman gives himself away with a single glance. bwahahaah

Perry wore an amused expression as Lois crossed her arms over her chest. He wasn’t an idiot. She knew he was probably laughing on the inside at her weak attempts to pretend like her husband wasn’t trying to feel her up every two seconds.
Haha, busted!

He isn't Editor because he can yodel you know. wink

Thankfully Perry remained silent on the very public and overly friendly behavior Clark was exhibiting.

rotflol I love this sentence so much. Overly friendly. lol

Well, horn dog seemed inappropriate.

“In the meantime, just refrain from giving them anything. No need to give them anything to run with if you know what I mean.”

“That may be easier said than done,” Lois shot a glance toward Clark.

“Well, just do your best.” Perry sighed.
Horn-dog over there is definitely going to do his damndest to give them something to run with. lol Also, Perry's sigh is great, knowing that Clark's going to be more than a handful. evil

Glad you were able to catch that sigh there. It was on purpose.

“You need to practice some of that oh, so lacking control and patience…You’re going to get both of us fired if you don’t quit it.”
CLARK: I was so very patient before marriage... I can't be held responsible for how impatient I am after.

Yeah, it's not his fault! lol It should be considered a compliment!

He let out a sigh and moved his hands to her waist, wrapping his arms securely around her torso. “You’re not going to let this go, are you?”

“Nope,” Lois smiled, relieved to see a glimmer of some normalcy from her husband’s behavior.
*pouts* Everybody's going to think they went into the supply closet for some fun anyway... Why not follow through? If you do the time, do the crime. :devil-angel:

Yeah, Lois! Everyone already thinks it so why not?

“I’m still fine,” he argued.
Mmmm-hmmmm! drool
LOL!

“I just needed to get out of the office. I went for a flight around the block. No big deal,” he responded.
lol I thought maybe he sneezed so hard he went flying around the office like a balloon leaking helium.

**laughs hysterically at the mental image of balloon Superman**

Jimmy Olsen wore an amused expression as he did his best not to make eye contact with either Clark or Lois when he was called over to Lois’ desk. Lois’ disheveled appearance and Clark’s lopsided grin made it obvious what the two of them had been doing just moments ago…in the supply closet no less.

rotflol Haha, long gone are the days of Jimmy Interruptus. Jimmy's interrupted one too many times.

Haha! Yeah, he's not going anywhere near that closet after that bell got rung.

“Oh come on, since when do you turn down a flight with…?” Clark began to ask, and she reached over to silence him by grabbing ahold of the one part of him she knew wasn’t invulnerable.
rotflol rotflol rotflol clap

That's one way of keeping him quiet.

She stole a glance toward him, groaning when she saw he looked cool and collected.
What, she can dish it out but she can't take it? lol

Nope!

‘Oh, no,’ Cat watched Jimmy hand, Lois Lane, the file that had fallen off of Clark Kent’s desk. She had completely forgotten to take it back. She watched in despair as Lois Lane’s behavior almost immediately changed once the file was in her hand.
Haha! Cat gets a little taste of karma.

Yep!!!! Just wait and see what happens.

"Uh, they had a lead to chase!" Cat shrugged, hoping her editor bought it.

"Uh-huh," Perry looked to the man with the clipboard
LOIS: Yeah! There was a mystery, in, uh, in the bedroom! More of a race really. An endurance race, very time sensitive.
PERRY: Same lead that you two found in the supply closet, I presume?

Surrreeee!! Whatever gets them out of the newsroom the fastest.

"Look out!"

She let out a muffled cry as a white cloth covered hand snaked around her, silencing her before a sound could be made. 'Chloroform' was the last thing that crossed her mind as she fell to the ground, darkness overtaking her instantly.
Uh-oh! Samantha escaped and Lois kidnapped? And only one chapter to go? How?! Oh boy. I'm so excited to see how this all ends. Hopefully, I'll get through chapter ten soon. dance

You know I like to work at a fast pace. Cram as much in and see where the chips fall. hahah
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: FDK: Testing a Theory - 07/29/18 01:23 AM
First of all, I just want to say how much I've thoroughly enjoyed this story. It's been a great read, very fun, and you have such a knack for writing "episodic" style stories like this. Very impressive! Cat has been a delightful reintroduction into this, and very nicely woven into the fabric of this timeline. Excellent job, Val!

Aww! Thank you so much Mouse! I'm glad you are enjoying it. I tried to have fun with it.

On to the details...
"I’m not going to ask again, Ms. Grant, did you know your cousin was in cohorts with known members of Intergang?" Detective Wolfe's tone was harsh as he continued with the questions.

"Intergang?" Cat's voice echoed from the other side of the room. "No, Sam would never..."
Did she really not know? Sam either played her really well or she's covering really well.

She really didn't know. Sam pulled the wool over her eyes.

"There's a bomb, dad! Get out now!" Jerry's voice echoed through the room and Clark immediately went into action, scanning the floor for any sign of an explosive device in the building. He moved at super-speed, flying through the newsroom, trying to find any clue.
shock Didn't see that coming.

Outta nowhere with that wasn't it?

"I didn't know it was Kryptonite until this morning, honest!" Cat insisted as Clark approached.

"Kryptonite?" Clark looked at her in surprise.

"Yes, fine! I'm the bad guy. I get something sent to me with a cryptic note and I must be behind something nefarious, right? Meanwhile, Lois Lane has a bomb sent to her and no one bats an eye."
laugh Yeah, I suppose that's not a bad line of questioning. lol Although Lois wouldn't reasonably send a bomb to herself... unless she was an evil mastermind... hmmmmm... No, no. She wouldn't do that... probably.

*side eyes the AntiVerse and shelves an idea or two*

**snork** Evil Mastermind? Lois? No, not in this universe buttttt it could happen I guess if she was that evil. Is she that evil Mouse? I know what you're thinking

Cat turned to Clark, "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be elbow deep into trouble with your wife by now?"

Nah. Hip deep, maybe. peep

Cape deep hahahaha

"On a weekly basis, it seems." Cat cut in with a roll of her eyes. Clark shot her a glare and she shrugged, "I'm right and you know it, Clark."
Oooh, catty. More so than usual, and directed at Clark. This should be fun. But she's not wrong.

No, she's not wrong but she's not right either and she's about to feel the wrath of angry Clark...

“Are you kidding me?” Clark scoffed, doing his best to contain his anger, “It has everything to do with it. I’m not an idiot, Cat. I know what you did to Lois and…”
I love Clark when he's just spoiling for a fight.

He's fun, isn't he?

“I’ve never been more disappointed in anyone in all my life,” Clark muttered, turning away. He saw the uncertain expression on her face before making his way out of the room.

Ouch! That stings, CK.

Yep, hit her where it hurts.

“Clark, hold on!” Perry called behind him. “Let him go!”

"Kent, easy there…" Wolfe approached him from behind. "If I were you, Dunning I wouldn’t do anything to rile Kent here up any further.
*whispers* Psst! Clark! Your Superman face is showing...

Over protective superhero husband meet paparazzi's face. Everyone get the popcorn.

Dr. Friedman is a very close personal friend of mine. She doesn't normally do shop talk about her high-profile surgeries but well in this one instance she just couldn't help herself. I mean it was a one of a kind case. She'd never seen anything so tiny in all her....
clap Perfect!

hahahaha

Cat shrugged, “I have my own style of interrogation. Now, how about we call a truce? Take a look at this tape and figure out who took Lois. As much as a pain in the rear she is to me I don’t want to see anything happen to her.”

Awwww. Sweet side of Cat. And I might add, that's probably one of the first times I've seen a different style of interrogation from Cat beyond the predatorial, half-dressed, man-eater style.

We never saw much on interrogation from Cat on the show but I've read enough to figure her out.

"I see you've taken over right where your husband and step-son left off. Kidnapping a hobby or are you doing it full-time now?" Lois asked, tightening her arms over her chest.

*snort* Love it.

Lois the smart ass!

“Cat may not have been behind the murders but I still think she’s been up to something.” Lois said with a shrug.
lol Only a little begrudging there, Lois.

She hates being wrong.

“No, but how exactly do you plan on confronting her on it?” Clark asked. “She admitted to having red kryptonite. She never said what she used it for but given what happened earlier I think we both know how it was used.”

“So we can’t call her out without giving away your secret,” Lois realized, shaking her head. “I hate this.”
rotflol Great plan for Cat, actually! Their hands are tied.

Evil genius!

“You can’t do it, can you?” He grinned at her.

“What?” she asked.

“Admit you were wrong,” He grinned.

“Yes I can.”

“Then say it.” He grinned back at her.

“I…” She pursed her lips into a pout, “You’re enjoying this way too much.”

“I don’t hear the words, ‘Clark you were right’ in there at all.” He teased.
This interaction was so sweet and perfectly them. Loved it!

LOL! Glad you liked that part. It was fun to write. Lois Lane admits she's wrong! Extra Extra!

Cat crossed her arms, staring back at them, “I was trying to prove something…that I’ve come to realize doesn’t matter at all. I’m sorry.”
Aww. She's got her priorities back in order. See Lois? She's not bad, she's just dressed that way.
hahaha

With that Cat left, leaving Lois and Clark reeling from the news. “What do you think that was all about?” Lois finally asked.

“I don’t know,” Clark shook his head, “But does it really matter?”
Wait, are they really not going to figure out that Cat kinda knows the secret? Do I need to demand a brief sequel where Cat casually admits to knowing Clark is Superman, and he and Lois looking all deer-in-the-headlights?

No, they really aren't going to know what Cat's scheming was about and she's not going to confront them. She suspects but has zero proof.

It had come out in Jimmy’s research that the name Bruno Mannheim was used to cover a hit by Intergang.
Glad you went back for this! It was a fun little name drop, whether or not the person was real. laugh

Yes, it was supposed to be a nod to the characters from the comics having Morgan and Bruno mentioned in connection with Intergang.

clap Again, great story! Very much enjoyed it! Would love to see more adventures of any supporting characters kinda-knowing that Clark is Superman. Well done!

wave

Aww! Thanks Mouse! Glad you enjoyed the read. laugh
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards