It may not be everyone's idea of a great story but I really liked it.

I liked all three endings. The ending you posted, I mean after all this Clark would want to emotionally punish himself for the next 80 years or so right? On the other hand there was something even more compelling with your original ending (the hidden one) as it fit the story theme better. Ken's ending was certainly more upbeat and would fit also and maybe the dream he had would spark him to go to Lois and come clean. I mean Lois and Martha together could have come up with a bunch of approaches to fix the problem.

Given the ending you chose, Lois and Clark's stubbornness/fear and what it could have easily resulted in is explored very well here. The story was very melancholy. Lois' story was sad but she led a long life with family who loved her very much. The real problem was that she knew it (her life) could have been so much more but she was afraid to go for it. Clark's solitary life was of his own making so I had a bit more of a problem feeling sorry for him. I mean after his folks were gone (they could no longer be targets) Clark could have gone to Lois and explained everything but he chose himself not to do that (too stubborn or too scared it is hard to tell).

In the end your story described two lonely people who could have solved their loneliness with a simple call or visit from either side. You basically took their muleheadedness from the series and amped it up quite a bit. That said I guess when you look back on canon it should be considered a miracle that they ever got together considering all the times their stubbornness and fear got in the way and they nearly went down the path you described in this story.

One thing that I ponder in stories like this is why is Clark still so adamant about keeping the secret? Parents are gone, Lois and just about all of his friends are gone. Why bother? Why not come out and live a "normal" life or at least take on another identity? Why be Superman full time? I guess this Clark is basically masochistic in his core...

Finally, this must be "Let keep Lois and Clark apart for a long time" month with this story and DC's "Make Love, Not Warcraft" last week...

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham