Can I consider this a birthday present? wink...

What a nice surprise to find this story today clap.

Not that a knock on her door ever presaged a social call. She had no social life, unless you wanted to count the occasional pizza and a movie on Clark Kent's couch.

I very much enjoyed how honest Lois is with herself.

But also... Lois, an occasional pizza/movie on Clark Kent's couch sounds like a pretty amazing way to spend an evening grin.

If he had been anyone else, she would have turned him down. But Clark had seen her in pajamas before, and he definitely seemed upset about something. Lois shut the door to unlatch the chain, and then opened it again.

"Sure, why not? You've come this far." Lois stepped back to let him inside

Even this part--which wasn't really WAFFy--but showed so much comfort and familiarity, really got my attention. That friendship--it is so much of everything, isn't it? Great way to illustrate notworthy.

His body rocked slightly as if he wanted to pace, but was glued to that spot.

"Okay, seriously, what's up?" Lois sat down on the sofa opposite him, her head tilted slightly as she tried, and failed, to read him.

I tell you...those little details, they really do make all the difference! His body rocking back and forth--that detail added a lot. Also, IMO, just putting the 'seriously' into Lois' question--it made what she was saying sound real. You are really great at writing how people actually 'talk' (if that makes sense dizzy ).

Lois would have called his bluff, but he looked dead serious. "Who's your source?"

He looked at his hands again, clenching them so tightly that his knuckles turned white. "Dr. Daitch at EPRAD. General Zeitlin. Secretary Cosgrove."

Her jaw nearly dropped in disbelief. "You spoke to all of them personally?"

He nodded. "Yes."

"When?" she demanded.

"About an hour ago. They asked me to meet them."

"And you didn't invite me?" Lois smacked his shoulder in frustration. "Clark, what the hell does 'partners' mean to you? What did they say?"

She saw the muscles of his jaw twitch before he answered. "We have four days until Nightfall makes a direct hit."

This part--I really enjoyed how Lois is approaching the conversation (obviously) in work-mode (as Clark as her partner), and Clark is being completely honest, telling her what happened (pretty much as Superman).

"No, it's not. Not yet." He gave her a tremulous smile. "You're right, of course."

"I'm always right."

He let out a small laugh that was almost a sigh. "Not always. Just most of the time."

Friendship (sighing). Their's really is so beautiful. I love these little showcases of it twins.

"I'm asking because he should have someone to talk to, you know?"

"That would be nice." Clark's head bowed and his next words were barely a whisper. "Lois, I'm scared."

Lois grabbed his hand and squeezed it hard. "Don't say that. If you fall apart, then I will, too.

He needs her SO MUCH right here. And showing his vulnerablility--'Lois, I'm scared'--that was so direct, so right where he is at that moment. I LOVED that!

I might as well highlight the whole story, the way that I'm going...but anyway:

"It's an act," she admitted. "It's all an act! I'm scared of just about everything. Spiders, snakes, loud noises, the dark, being alone -- all of it."

He gave her a wan smile. "I don't believe you. You're just saying that to make me feel better."

"Is it working?"

"Yeah." His hand moved to loosely intertwine his fingers with hers. "There's so much I should have told you. There's so much I've wanted to tell you. I just… I assumed there was plenty of time. That there would be some perfect day when everything aligned exactly right and I'd tell you everything

Toe-curlingly sweet. I love how much Lois is trying. I love how much you can tell Clark is grasping onto that. It's very touching. And entwining the fingers--that's a big one for me...so sweet.

She heard his breath catch. "I love you," she told him again, her eyes shining with unshed tears. "I realized it when you were going to leave the Planet and go back to Kansas. I didn't want you to go, and it wasn't just because I was going to miss working with you."

His eyes met hers and she saw the haunted look leave them, replaced by a warm happiness. Just as quickly, though, the joy faded and he seemed even sadder. His hand tightened a little on hers. "I fell in love with you that first day in Perry's office."

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Really? Love at first sight?"

It's all definitely out there. Yippee! dance

Suddenly his lips were on hers. His arms closed around her, one hand tipping her head back to rest in his palm as his mouth moved against hers again and again. His kiss was gentle, and yet there was an urgency to it, an intensity that built with each pull of his mouth on hers. The thought skittered through her brain that the time Clark had laid a kiss on her in the honeymoon suite of the Luxor hadn't been a fluke -- it had been a tease. No one had ever kissed her like this, not even Superman under the influence of that pheromone perfume

Yeah, Clark! I love how he went with his emotions, with what he wanted so badly to do. Didn't think, just acted. He's under so much stress--letting go for that brief moment. Giving into his feelings.

He was leaving her for the entire planet. It was completely selfless and she hated him for it

Echoing Susan here. Loved this! Lois' honesty again with herself.

The man currently standing in her living room couldn't possibly take on a space rock larger than Metropolis and survive.

This is what I'm worried about!

"You're really going to do it, aren't you?" Her voice wavered and she hated him for that, too. Damn him for making her care -- really, truly, deeply care about someone.

Yep, Clark is officially 'in'--she cares, completely. grin

Was I supposed to sleep with you first? Was that it?" Lois didn't believe for a moment that he'd come here for a quickie, but it felt good to see she could shock him as much as he had just shocked her.

His face flushed bright red. "You can't be serious!"

She's not. Just mad/scared/frustrated/in shock/etc/etc/etc... wink

Lois stood at her kitchen island and stared at the glasses he'd left sitting on her coffee table.

The glasses left there sitting on the coffee table. Big impact. Clark leaving without glasses. That implies a LOT of upcoming 'scary' stuff--him not thinking he'll ever need them again.

So glad that Lois went after Clark...to his apartment, to EPRAD. Now to see what happens next! Can't wait! hyper hyper hyper

Laura

Last edited by LMA; 12/20/14 03:47 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~