This tale is unusual for me in that the main driver is the relationship between Clark and Lois. Usually I try to weave the romance among the thorny weeds of the action plot, but this time it's the other way around. Y'all need to let me know if that works. I can say that my betas - I was going to say "like it," but there are some more rocks coming up soon.

Mike, I think you're right when you say

The entire series was about how they worked around Lois's lack of trust, her belief that no one could/would love her completely, and Clark's constant belief that he loved her and would/could love her forever.

After all, it was a romance show and not really a superhero show. We'll see what happens in this area sooner than later.

And I'm sorry your muse doesn't agree with mine. Your muse must be gentle and well-behaved, which mine are not. I have to warn you: one of the reasons I write what I do is that Polly and Trope are a bit capricious and sometimes vindictive. I think it's because they weren't hugged enough as baby muses, and I'm certainly not getting that close to them on a regular basis now. (Please see "When Muses Go Bad" for more information about them.)

Groobie, you're right that Lois can't just "turn it off" with Clark. She's reinforced her defenses, and he's going to continue to attack. We'll have to see how successful he is.

Virginia, thanks for reading and for commenting. I do have some stories when Clark and Lois don't end up together at the end, but I prefer that they be together. It's just that life doesn't always work out that way. (By the way, bring tissues for "She's" or "The Cold Shoulder.")

Debbie, that's a very good point. That will come back to bite Clark later on, but maybe not in the way most people would anticipate.

Mouse, if a person hasn't behaved irrationally toward another person, that first person has never been in strong emotional relationship. So, yeah, Lois is really tired and really wrung out, and Clark has been blindsided with all of this. We'll see how it shakes out pretty soon.

LWhite, if you like angst, this should be a feast.

Look for the next part Monday evening US time. Unless I get the urge to poke more sticks through the bars.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing