An absolutely smashing ending!

Well worth the wait.

Anyone who wasn't getting misty eyed by the end, well they don't have any feelings and I don't envy them.

Couple of my favorites:

She loved him.

She needed him.

On the outside, he was flawless, but on the inside, something was missing.

Her.

He needed her. He did. He knew he did.

But would he be willing to trust again?

"Love is patient, love is kind."

Clark had shown her such patience. And he'd always been kind.

"It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."

The memory of her harsh words whipped through Lois's mind. She had accused him of lying and then accused his parents, whom he obviously loved, of deliberately misleading him.

"Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth."

She had demanded the truth, and his love had been too strong to seek escape through deception. It had cost him everything.

Or so he thought.

If only he'd look at her … allow her the chance to smile, to connect with him, to begin to build the bridge of restoration.

"It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

That is how Clark Kent would love. How Lois was determined to love him. "Look at me," she murmured under her breath. "Please, Clark, look at me."

Slowly, his head lifted, and his eyes crashed into hers, setting off a thousand mini-explosions that cascaded through every part of her body. He swallowed. He drew in a long staccato breath. "Love never fails."

His image blurred as the well of her emotions seeped into her eyes.

He stared, caught in the unseen bond that held both of them.

His expression didn't change. "You must have a lot of questions."

"I do. But only one is important."

"Which …" He coughed, glancing down to his feet. "Which one?"

"Will you forgive me?"

His head jolted up, and surprise peeled away the mask, revealing the Clark of her memories. "Lois, there's nothing to forgive," he said. "I … I saw you, my brain went into meltdown, and …" He gently squeezed her finger. "… and I just kept on getting everything wrong."

"You mean like bringing me here for the most romantic picnic of my life?"

"I mean like asking you out within minutes, declaring my feelings within hours, and dumping the biggest secret imaginable on you within a day." His other hand lifted in frustration. "I gave you no choice but to run away."

"I'm not running now."

"You came back to ask for forgiveness?" His eyebrow lifted. "Just that?"

Lois felt her mouth twitch. "No. Not just that."

"What else?"

She stared into his eyes and saw the lingering layers of uncertainty, as if he were preparing to defend his life … his world … his decisions. She placed her other hand on the lapel of his jacket.

"No raindrops today," he muttered.

She brushed them away anyway, relishing the texture of his jacket … and the underlying firmness of his chest.

But … her hand stilled. "I wanted to tell you that I believe you," she said. "About everything."

"You believe my parents found me in a spaceship?"

She nodded.

"Why?" he asked. "Why would you believe something so implausible?"

"Because you told me." She waited for that to settle through his consciousness and then smiled softly. "And the coffee helped, too."

He groaned. "The coffee."

and of course finally

She grinned. "When you come to Metropolis, you are going to work with me."

She said it as if their future was settled. Exhilaratingly settled. "You said you work alone," he reminded her. "Always."

"I also said I don't date. Ever."

His laughter felt sweet as he asked, "Has that changed, too?"

"Only a little. I date one particular man. As far as everyone else is concerned, I don't date."

Her words and her smile and her hand on his chest emboldened him. "Want to go out on a date with me?"

"Only one date?"

He nodded. "Only one. A date that lasts a lifetime."

Her beautiful brown eyes sparkled with fun. "Is that a proposal, Mr Kent?"

If she wanted a proposal, she could have it. Right now. "Of course not," he said with a wide grin that diluted his denial. "It would be much too soon for a proposal."

"But that's what you want, isn't it? Marriage? Forever? Risking everything for one person?"

"That's what I've always wanted. But until last week, I didn't know who that one person was."

"Do you know now?"

He nodded. "Yep."

She toyed with his tie. "You are a very romantic man, Mr Kent."

"I believe in love. I believe in being with someone forever."

"I didn't believe in love."

"And now?"

"I believe in us."

Clark cradled her chin in the curve of his fingers, tilting her head until their eyes met. "I love you, Lois Lane," he said. "I don't think it's possible for me not to love you."

"I believe you." Her eyelids fluttered over a film of moisture. She smiled, flooding him with joy. "I love you, Clark Kent."

He kissed her, sealing promises made … secrets shared ... love affirmed.

Forever.

I guess I could go Darth Michael and quote almost the entire story but these passages were the ones that, to me, make the story work.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham